Clamping Pressure- Too Much, Too Little or Just Right?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With PVA or yellow glues (e.g. Titebond, etc) how much pressure do you apply?

• As much as I can by hand then add a bit more with a spanner or wringstaff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As much as I can by hand

• Just enough for some squeeze out or perhaps a tad more

• Loosely so that I don't get any squeeze out

• I don't really know how much pressure to apply

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just chatting to someone about glue clamping and we got round to discussing some glue line failures. I've found that there is a tendency for some people to try piling on loads of pressure whilst I live with a large number of those cheapo Wolfcraft QR cramps which could never be accused of applying too much of anything. So the question is, how much pressure do you apply when clamping?

Scrit

Just enough to close the joint up for M&T joints maybe a bit more for edge jointing particularly if the joints are planed a little hollow

But if the joint's a bit tight I stop once the 3/4" pipe has deflected 2" on my No 56 Pony clamps :D :wink:

Jason

DomValente":4gp4s0at said:
Dunno I get someone else to do it for me :twisted:

Dom
Is that the same bloke who squeezes the toothpaste out onto your brush? Or is it the guy who boils you six different eggies every morning? :roll:

Scrit

I guess we'll all be fibbing to some extent, I think #3 is where it's at....but how many of us have put those old Record 4 footers on and wound them up tight enough to pull the wood together? ....or used cheap ali and cast clamps and actually snapped them ?

Maybe not the latter...:oops:...but come clean guys - are you that perfect?

Chris.

Scrums":2i58681w said:
I guess we'll all be fibbing to some extent, I think #3 is where it's at....but how many of us have put those old Record 4 footers on and wound them up tight enough to pull the wood together? ....or used cheap ali and cast clamps and actually snapped them ?

Chris.

Yup i must be :oops: :lol: but then i havent done that many projects

Scrit":kwixbaoy said:
DomValente":kwixbaoy said:

Dom
Is that the same bloke who squeezes the toothpaste out onto your brush? Or is it the guy who boils you six different eggies every morning? :roll:

Scrit

No,no,no, they stay at home to polish my cufflinks and iron the cravats.

Yes Chris I can't deny that on occasions muscle power has been used.

Dom

Scrums":93uq1ejm said:

So you never had the "boss" behind you clipping your ear because you bruised some work from too much pressure, then? :oops: Yes, I've pulled up banana shaped pieces with Record T-cramps, but these days I try to machine the stuff, get the M&Ts done and assemble it before the Pennine weather gets to it..... As for leaving it overnight before assembly - no way!

Scrit

Scrit":28wgnhnc said:
I was just chatting to someone about glue clamping and we got round to discussing some glue line failures. I've found that there is a tendency for some people to try piling on loads of pressure whilst I live with a large number of those cheapo Wolfcraft QR cramps which could never be accused of applying too much of anything.

Have you had many glue line failures using the Wolfcraft QR clamps Scrit? Just thought I'd ask since I use them a lot myself :wink:

3 for me above by the way

Cheers

Not really, but I tend to use a lot of them (seeing as how I've got about 60 or so). For heavier joinery jobs I use T-bars and cramp heads/bars because the Wolfcrafts don't seem to have the stength in them - or maybe it's me arthritis playing up

Scrit

DomValente":x2nmpfvp said:
Scrit":x2nmpfvp said:
DomValente":x2nmpfvp said:

Dom

Scrit

No,no,no, they stay at home to polish my cufflinks and iron the cravats.

Yes Chris I can't deny that on occasions muscle power has been used.

Dom

....Dom's obviously got a 'man' as well to load 8' planks into the back of the Bentley, saw a black one at Yandles a while back...wasn't you Dom was it? :lol: - Rob

Yep, just enough to squeeze out the glue, but if it doesn't squeeze out give it one almighty turn, :lol: No seriously though you can't put too much pressure on pine as it crushes. OOPS! :oops:

mailee":coyoxcra said:
Yep, just enough to squeeze out the glue, but if it doesn't squeeze out give it one almighty turn

... or put more glue in there to start with! :wink: :lol:

woodbloke":8390l3ko said:
....Dom's obviously got a 'man' as well to load 8' planks into the back of the Bentley, saw a black one at Yandles a while back...wasn't you Dom was it? :lol: - Rob

Well yes, how else would one..........

:) Dom

Interesting! - I was thinking about this only yesterday (decided I might be tightening up too tight).

When using pva I lightly "butter" both surfaces and leave open for about a minute before bringing together. Am I wasting time or is this correct thing to do?

lurker":n4bjbbgj said:
When using pva I lightly "butter" both surfaces and leave open for about a minute before bringing together. Am I wasting time or is this correct thing to do?
Yes, but do you add strawberry jam and clotted cream? :lol:

I can't say I wait any time at all, but if you are doing a frame and panel glue up there's normally little time to waste.

Scrit

Latest posts

Back