Clamping non right angled surfaces

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayno

Reaction score
Hi. I have a trapezoid box with one slanted edge that I need to be able to clamp up, its about 40cm across and its not going to hold a lot of weight so I was planning to use dominoes, to align the parts and stop them slipping around when applying clamping pressure, I'm thinking I'll make a jig to sit above and below the unit with slanted blocks, where i can use lots of mechanical fixings, then fix ( clamp ) the jigs to the workpiece, then apply the clamps to the jigs, giving me evenly distributed clamping pressure ( drawing attached which hopefully explains ) I think this will work but just wondering if there are any easier options or if there cold be an issue with this ? I'm thinking as well I may need a caul or something similar to ensure there is some pressure in the centre ? Any advice gratefully received - thank you !
Clamping weird shapes.jpg

Similar to @Stanleymonkey idea make some clamping blocks, Woodpecker tools make them but it would be easy enough to make your own from off cuts , these are the woodpecker ones just to give you the idea of what I mean.

2BAC5CD1-D69F-4D5D-8EE2-7932669F593E.jpeg

not mine I hasten to add a woodpecker promotional photo.

an angled corner clamp, along with a caul along the join as you suggested would no doubt work. I think there are stronger (and more complicated) ways of creating the joint (eg sliding dovetails), but for the scale and weight you suggested that angled butt joint with clamping should be fine IMHO

an angled corner clamp, along with a caul along the join as you suggested would no doubt work. I think there are stronger (and more complicated) ways of creating the joint (eg sliding dovetails), but for the scale and weight you suggested that angled butt joint with clamping should be fine IMHO
Thanks TheUnicorn, good to get confirmation it should work, sliding dovetails a bit out of my league at the moment , maybe one day !

What you propose will work. I have glued picture frames and boxes by hot glueing a triangular off cut along the joint and applying the clamps to that. As long as you don't squeeze the life out of it they work fine. You are using Dominoes so you only need to get the joint snug.

Pete

Back