Clamp storage solution for TINY workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams93

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My ‘workshop’ is small. Very small. It’s a 6x8‘ shed, which I’ve managed to cram all Sorts of machines into.

currently I have my clamps just sitting in a corner and they are kind of in the way, but I can’t come Up with a way of storing them that’s sufficiently compact that I’m happy to go ahead and make.

I wondered if anyone else has had any ideas or success with similarly cramped areas and clamps.

thanks in advance.

My ‘workshop’ is small. Very small. It’s a 6x8‘ shed, which I’ve managed to cram all Sorts of machines into.

currently I have my clamps just sitting in a corner and they are kind of in the way, but I can’t come Up with a way of storing them that’s sufficiently compact that I’m happy to go ahead and make.

I wondered if anyone else has had any ideas or success with similarly cramped areas and clamps.

thanks in advance.
If it's a shed type construction just a piece of 2x1 screwed into the studs with 3" screws will suffice.

I had an 8 by 10 shed at our previous property. I always clamped my clamps to one of the roof joists or collars. Now I have a slightly larger shed, at about 10 by 16, I still do the same. I can pretty much always reach a quick grip clamp in an emergency.

I added two cross members to the roof (like the centre of an ‘A’ to allow for more wood storage up there, unfortunately that means less room for clamps! I’ll have a think!!

The hinged Pinterest idea is interesting, I wonder if it would still be too big thoufh

A little outside of the box ( literally) but could you make a storage rack on one of the outside walls of your shed as 6 x 8 wow 🤩 any space saved inside will give you more workspace . You could then make it a feature and with a bit of water proofing and a couple of locks your clamps will be accessible but never in the way . In my workshop I had previously built a storage rack for my power tools and my vinyl collection- sick of moving clamps out of the way and limited space led me to build this ( see photos)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 0
I had an 8 by 10 shed at our previous property. I always clamped my clamps to one of the roof joists or collars. Now I have a slightly larger shed, at about 10 by 16, I still do the same. I can pretty much always reach a quick grip clamp in an emergency.
Similar solution for me I have several lengths of scrap boards screwed to the ceiling and all my trigger clamps are just, err, clamped on - being tall I can just reach up to take one/return one - the 6 1m sash cramps hang on the wall with some 2 x 2 blocks on a backing board, cramps hang for the screw end in slots between each block. The mini clamps and MFT stuff is in a plastic bin on a shelf above the MFT.

My shed is only 8’ x 10’ extermal with a bare 6’-6” headroom to the roof joists. I store clamps locked onto the roofplate and any other convenient bit of timber where I won’t bash my head on them. Small 3” and 4” clamps I tend to lock onto the edge of narrow shelves.

Most all clamp racks seem to be for all the same brand/type of clamps. My problem is that I have a mix/match selection of clamps. I installed brackets of wood on each of the studs in my shed. They are 20 inches apart. I bored holes in them just big enough to put 1 inch pvc through them so that it ran horizontally from one end of the shed to the other. I can now hang all of my clamps from it leaving space below for other things. Sorry, no picture. If someone wants one, I'll post one later upon request.

Most all clamp racks seem to be for all the same brand/type of clamps. My problem is that I have a mix/match selection of clamps. I installed brackets of wood on each of the studs in my shed. They are 20 inches apart. I bored holes in them just big enough to put 1 inch pvc through them so that it ran horizontally from one end of the shed to the other. I can now hang all of my clamps from it leaving space below for other things. Sorry, no picture. If someone wants one, I'll post one later upon request.
Yes I agree most of us have different makes of clamps so I think it may be that the op needs a mixed approach

Yes I agree most of us have different makes of clamps so I think it may be that the op needs a mixed approach
I agree. Also, I'm wondering just who can afford the Bessey style of bar clamps etc? I'd love to have some of them but at 79 years of age, it would be a very bad investment. Nice for my heirs but not for me. I'll just have to muddle through with what I have.

I agree. Also, I'm wondering just who can afford the Bessey style of bar clamps etc? I'd love to have some of them but at 79 years of age, it would be a very bad investment. Nice for my heirs but not for me. I'll just have to muddle through with what I have.
It depends on how you view 'investment' if it pleases you and greatly assists your hobby now, and you can afford it, then why worry?

I sadly have quite a lot of space constraints - the loft is currently used as the sheet goods storage area. She is always delighted when I ask her to pass a board of 18mm birch ply up to me 😂
You need a new shed / workshop 😆
Surely your mrs will sacrifice the kitchen for your hobby? Go ask and report back 😆🤣😁

Thankyou all for those suggestions, a lot of them are rather ingenious. I shall have a look and see what I think might work.

@sometimewoodworker - you explained you use horizontal out, do you have any photographs of what you mean? thanks

I sadly have quite a lot of space constraints - the loft is currently used as the sheet goods storage area. She is always delighted when I ask her to pass a board of 18mm birch ply up to me 😂

Thankyou all for those suggestions, a lot of them are rather ingenious. I shall have a look and see what I think might work.

@sometimewoodworker - you explained you use horizontal out, do you have any photographs of what you mean? thanks
The horizontal out are like this, though they should probably quite a bit deeper.
5A96F878-2A1B-4A06-9225-7B72E3C41FA8.jpeg
4910154C-9DBB-4004-BEA5-C668C2FF9064.jpeg

as you can see they are on a locking French cleat system.

Back