Clamp recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both Bessey and Axminster trade clamps. I think that these are probably manufactured by the same factory ( in China?) as the Bessey clamp extenders fit the Axminster perfectly. The Axminster has one advantage over the Bessey in that the handle can be swiveled round to provide extra pressure if needed or to use the clamp in awkward situations. Otherwise they seem identical ( apart from colour and price. :))
See the video:
https://www.axminstertools.com/axmi...dium=affiliates&utm_content=2266&glCountry=GBNigel

I don’t disagree with this at all in fact I take your point entirely.
It’s true that Bessey manufacturer their own clamps and that Rutlands don’t.
But my handling of both Rutlands and Bessey parallel clamps don’t show much difference in quality in terms of “feel”and in actual use that’s all.
But, like I mentioned, time will tell in the longevity department.

In terms of provenance, it’s maybe obvious that the Rutlands clamps will be made in China like most these days, but that isn’t “always” a bad thing.

Im certainly not trying to push Rutlands as a seller of great quality tools, in fact I’ve had to send back, twice, a “guaranteed flat” and “straight “ rule that was anything but flat or straight .
Fortunately, I bought they clamps before I bought the rule, and if I hadn’t I wouldn’t have bought the clamps judged on the quality of the rule.
Nor would Rutlands be my first port of call for most things .
I didn't think you were pushing Rutlands beyond Bessey, I was just adding my own experience comparative to my use of many different types of clamps.

I would be genuinely interested how your Rutlands clamps hold up over the longer term and your opinion on buying more after that use.

Last edited:
I have quiet a few Irwins, the Heavy Duty One Handed Bar Clamps in a range of sizes but even though they are good, they are no match for the Bessey Revo screw clamps when it comes to applying pressure. Also they may call them one handed but I have since brought some Bessey one handed clamps on advice given on these forums and they are really easy to use one handed clamps. I always say that it is cheaper in the long run to just bite the bullet and buy quality once rather than go on an incremental journey and end up there eventually anyway just with a pile of mixed clamps cluttering up the workshop.

I didn't think you were pushing Rutlands beyond Bessey, I was just adding my own experience comparative to my use of many different types of clamps.

I would be genuinely interested how your Rutlands clamps hold up over the longer term and your opinion on buying more after that use.

You were only advancing an opinion based on experience and that’s what we need to hear.
I want to see how the Rutland clamps hold up over time too so I will try and remember to post after a year or so of use.
I’ve only used them now for about 3 months and around 2-3 days a week, so like I said before only time will tell.
I’ve used the Bessey parallel clamps now for around 6 years and they have held up well with the only issue being cracked jaws and an issue with a screw handle.

I've found the value/quality ratio of Axminster's clamps to be pretty good.

Poor quality clamps will have you cursing when something annoying inevitably happens as you try to do your glue up...

My parallel clamps are from Axminster. I have always been very happy with them.
I have 4 x 600mm Axminster parallel clamps and 6 x 900mm clamps from Rutlands. Apart from the colours (and length obviously :) ) they look identical. I suspect they were made in the same factory. As far as performance is concerned, they are very good.

I own Rutlands parallel clamps with the swivel handles (Good for old arthritic hands like mine) and have no problems with them.

I bought 4 Bessey clamp extenders so I can mix and match clamps to suit.
https://www.bessey.de/en-GB/BESSEY-...Extensions/K-Body-parallel-clamp-extender-KBX
I have 8 x 1m clamps and 8 x 500mm clamps and with the extenders I have lots of options without having to pay for lots of longer clamps that I rarely need.
Additionally, this really cuts down on the number of clamps I have to own and it saves a lot of space.

One thing I noticed is that I have to ever so slightly ease (with a file - 10mins work each) the inside of the extenders to make them fit.
This proves to me that Rutlands bars are slightly thicker than Besseys!

I own Rutlands parallel clamps with the swivel handles (Good for old arthritic hands like mine) and have no problems with them.

https://www.bessey.de/en-GB/BESSEY-...Extensions/K-Body-parallel-clamp-extender-KBX
I have 8 x 1m clamps and 8 x 500mm clamps and with the extenders I have lots of options without having to pay for lots of longer clamps that I rarely need.
Additionally, this really cuts down on the number of clamps I have to own and it saves a lot of space.

One thing I noticed is that I have to ever so slightly ease (with a file - 10mins work each) the inside of the extenders to make them fit.
Thanks

I also found these - Magnusson Sash Clamp 22 seem to have good reviews, and good cost not in stock though...
I have the Magnusson sash clamps in 600mm and 1000mm lengths, they are ok but not great... They dont stand very well by themselves so make it hard if you are putting a workpiece on top and they are quite poorly made. The clamping heads are not flat. I would not recommend using them for something like a table top glue up without some modification.

I started off with these but I am now rather building up my arsenal of parallel clamps as they have more use and generally better. One thing i can say about the Magnusson sash is the clamping power is very strong and they have quite a wide thread meaning using them is quite fast.

I have the Magnusson sash clamps in 600mm and 1000mm lengths, they are ok but not great... They dont stand very well by themselves so make it hard if you are putting a workpiece on top and they are quite poorly made. The clamping heads are not flat. I would not recommend using them for something like a table top glue up without some modification.

I started off with these but I am now rather building up my arsenal of parallel clamps as they have more use and generally better. One thing i can say about the Magnusson sash is the clamping power is very strong and they have quite a wide thread meaning using them is quite fast.
ok thats that out then, cheers

The extenders are not cheap are they. I understand the price of the clamps but I had expected the simple extensors to be much less.

Ideally I could use some 300mm and 450mm clamps, but nobody makes the 450s so I wondered about joining 2 300mm ones. Financially not really worth it, although I can see the advantage for occasionally converting long clamps to extra long.

As a boxmaker I can't recommend the Japanese Hatagani clamps highly enough. Yes, they are expensive and only available from www.fine-tools.de but they go up to 900 mm and strike the right balance between weight and clamping pressure. Not for heavy duty door making - I'd invest in the Irwin/Record range for that but they are an investment for life and you only have cry once before buying. :oops:

I have 1m and 2m Bessey clamps and Record T bar at 44”. For clamping pressure the Record are “best” (how much pressure do you need) but the Bessey are easier to use for what I need. You can put an Allen key in the handle of the Bessey for further tightening, which is easier than Axminster rotating handle when the clamp is close to the bench.
D&M tools often have 4 pack offers on Bessey

Latest posts

Back