Clamp recomendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend some decently priced clamps that close flat and parallel i.e. without getting the 'twist' of some types of system?

Dig,
I bought a couple of the new Bessey clamps at Yandles show-600mm long, a budget version of the K clamp. Only £12 each and they work brilliantly! :lol:
If you don't need really long ones these are the dogs doodahs!
Philly :D

Is that the UniKlamp?

Axminster have them for £12.06 or £12.55 depending on length (300 or 600mm).

I was also looking for a deep throat clamp the other day and was very surprised to see the Bessey deep throat for £64.04!!!!! Couldn't see why it was sooo expensive.

Philly - are they plenty strong enough for what I want to do?

I'm thinking of buying a large set of these or F Clamps (12-15 off).

As a main set of clamps, do they have any limitations? I think I'd go for the 300mm version or maybe a few of the 600mm thrown in.

These are great little clamps for small glue-ups, but you can't get a great amount of pressure out of them as the bar begins to bend. I have a good few of the 600mm ones and find them to be really useful, but for larger glue-ups or things where you need the pressure then I always go for the Gross Stabila clamps. I find these to be as well built as the Besseys, but they have larger heads and are a little cheaper!!

Give me a shout if you want the phone number of uk stockest.

Cheers

SimonA

Are they a lot flimsier than a standard F Clamp then?

If I'm considering buying a set of 12 clamps, and I don't want to spend a fortune, maybe a set of Axminster standard F Clamps would be better?

I think Chris said it all here:

"The uniclamps are nice little lightweight clamps useful for a variety of things but they are not a replacement for the K bodies. If you try to wind them up too tight, the metal bar starts to bend and there goes any parallelism and there is no more real clamping force available. "

I think its all really down to what your going to build...? If you makeing small items of furniture then you won't need as much pressure, but if you making tables and doors then you could really do with a bigger clamp!

I have a mixture UniKlamps and some very large Gross Stabil, which are just the business!!

SimonA

Just ordered a load of Gross Stabil and a collection of the UniKlamps from Axminster.

Unfortunately, one of the models of Gross Stabil clamps was apparently discontinued although it was on their web site and orderable!

Now to build a frame to hold them all! - I seem to be spending more time building jigs and accessories than the actual projects themselves! ... and at this rate, with the new workshop build costs and all the new kit, my first table would have cost me something like £10k !!!!!!! I'd better keep making the stuff. And to think this all started as I wanted to make a little rack for a few mini DV tapes! :eek:

Axmister have stocked the GS clamps (PC2 model I think) for a few years. Now that they have introduced Besseys, GS clamps have been dropped from their stocklist.

Rgds

Noel

Digizz":2lhhni0j said:
I seem to be spending more time building jigs and accessories than the actual projects themselves! ... and at this rate, with the new workshop build costs and all the new kit, my first table would have cost me something like £10k !!!!!!! I'd better keep making the stuff. And to think this all started as I wanted to make a little rack for a few mini DV tapes! :eek:
Anyone else getting deja vu...? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Cheers Digizz......I think I'll stick with my dealer though....its nice sometimes to just be able to deal with one person. I also think I get a better deal and cheaper prices through him.

SimonA

Back