Clamp pads

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I've got some F type clamps, and the clamp pads often fall off, I've lost one set and bought a replacement pair, I was thinking of glueing them on to the clamps.

Then I thought that maybe there's a good reason why they aren't glued on already. Any ideas?

If I were to glue them on, what's the best type of glue to use?
Contact, Epoxy, Super??

Ta very much.

I've had similar problems with cheap F clamps and I've thought about gluing pads into place but decided against it for two reasons. Firstly, if the pieces I'm gluing are slightly out of square, the pad will not apply the clamping pressure evenly and could dig into the wood. Secondly, there's the risk of the glue-up becoming brittle and the pads breaking off, leaving an uneven surface.

Now, I just position pieces of flat scrap wood between the clamp jaws and the piece I'm clamping. It's a low-tech solution, but it's never let me down.

Which reminds me... I should be clamping right now.

Gill

i tried super glue but it wont stick tried others but no luck .

tim i never even thought of d/sided tape what a good idea ,have a :eek:ccasion5: .

frank

You could also use a silcane as would not be a rigid as some adhesives, but it may not last as long either

Bean

j":jckmas14 said:
Hi
I've got some F type clamps, and the clamp pads often fall off, I've lost one set and bought a replacement pair, I was thinking of glueing them on to the clamps.

Then I thought that maybe there's a good reason why they aren't glued on already. Any ideas?

If I were to glue them on, what's the best type of glue to use?
Contact, Epoxy, Super??

Ta very much.

same problem

I use PVA as it has enough 'give' when cured to allow small misalignments to be absorbed without the glue fracturing when clamping. Glues such as epoxy or superglue form a hard and brittle bond that would probably break in this application

Back