Cladding around window sill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Shmoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.

The Rendering on my 1950s bungalow is shot in some places and thinking about chipping it all off and cladding the front.

Not difficult in itself but looking for guidance on the following.

The existing window sills extend out only 40mm or so from the wall, and given the recommended batton size is 35mm, I don't see how I can tuck the cladding under the sills.

How do the professionals deal with sills that don't extend out from the property wall far enough?

My neighbour recently had his house insulated externally, I asked how they would deal with the sills and was told they used an aluminium cover which I thought sounded a bit dubious.

To my surprise when it was finished they looked really neat, I think it was something like this they used, I'm sure other styles and designs will be available, his were colour matched to blue windows.

https://ewistore.co.uk/shop/externa...CvW71ufjqcw0sBhTk92SsvJSLHmBL4roaAjLUEALw_wcB

You can use a sub-sill - that is an additional sill beneath the existing one. These can be stone, concrete, wood or even brick. You will have to make some sort provision for the drip on the top sill to drain.by having a slightly raised fillet that doesn't interfere with this, on top of the sub-sill profile.

If it's timber windows you can chop out the old sill and put in a new wider one doweled and glued on but the aluminium oversills are easier and quicker. For pvc you need the oversills . For any window an extension under the existing sill can be used but doesn't look as neat.
Edit : while you're doing that consider external wall insulation, you'll feel the difference indoors and in the bills. Kingspan Pur has a high r value but is not the cheapest 50-60mm should be enough if there's none in the wall, less if you already have some..

Last edited:
I do as above but instead of dowels and glue I use dowels and the product below. It isn’t cheap though and you have to buy a special gun: the price is not a concern for me as the customer is always paying for it. Maybe there is a similar cheaper product. I agree that a sub-sill looks like an afterthought but if it is for your own place and you like it why not.

Attachments

• A8C3417C-4CA6-4430-AE26-E14D1695C0E6.png
    A8C3417C-4CA6-4430-AE26-E14D1695C0E6.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 24
Hi Folks. Thanks for the replies.

They are PVC windows. I didn't know oversills existed, so that looks like the way to go.

Thanks for your help, all of you. Great stuff.

Back