CL4

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm considering buying a CL4 varible speed lathe but have heard that there have been problems with it recently ref lining up of headstock and tailstock and general quality ref the latest model (yet told the older electronic display model is ok) - has anyone had these issues.

I have a dml24x and lots of extras so thought this may be a good buy as can use my present attachments - wishing to upgrade to make larger bowls and get more serious work done without investing yet again.

any advice on what may be a good lathe under 1000.00 would be welcome

where is the best place i could buy.

Hi Len,

If you are looking at a lathe for about £1000, and might be able to run to a little bit more, suggest a serious look at the Hegner HDB200XL. Variable speed, excellent features, excellent quality, good capacities, and no faults or problem areas - a machine that would last you and probably provide all you'll need for years to come.

Hegner U.K. (tel: 01323 442440) advertise a free hour-and-half video. They used to provide a superb info. package - don't know whether they still do.

I did note your budget, so apologise if I have gone OTT here, but ......... it may be worth a look :wink: .

Cheers,

Trev.

(no affiliation, etc., just a very satisfied owner).

I second the Hegner recommendation - a fabulous piece of kit which runs almost silently and has some superb features. Don't know where you are in the country, but you're most welcome to try mine if you're anywhere near East Sussex. Some pics and details of the stand I made for mine are here if you're interested. Having said that, I don't know if your current accessories will fit the Hegner - 2 Morse taper and 33mm x 3.5mm pitch thread.

Hegner have recently had a change of staff and Mark Baker, formerly of Woodturning magazine, now runs the show (Colin Simpson having taken over his role as editor), but I suspect that their excellent video is still available. If not, let me know and I'll do you a DVD copy.

Ray.

Hi Len,

I have a CL4 and am very happy indeed with it. However, mine is the old model, so obviously I am unable to comment on the new one.

I don't think there is much point in you trying to find an old one, as I have the last one! I rang just about every lathe supplier I could find trying to track one down, and was very lucky indeed to manage to locate one.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Regards

Gary

Hi Len
I luv my Nova DVR... if the nova 300 performs as well :?: ...it'll be in your budget... it's possible to convert it to variable speed for your remaining budget.

Just one question... do you want to turn bowls and short spindles :?: or do you want to do long spindle work as well :?: It will influence your choice of lathe e.g. short / long bed...

many thanks for your help - i will look into the advise you have given

I bought a CL4 variable last week. This was mainly a choice on budget as I couldn't afford a better lathe that would enable me to turn large bowls and reasonably long lengths. I have had a good backup service from Record having had minor setup problems.

I have been a little disappointed in a few bits especially the winding handle under the toolrest banjo but fortunately Poolewood sorted me out with a cam lock. (I intend to replace the tailstock locking mechanism in the same way). Having said that, it does seem good value for money. One thing I don't like is the fact that you are able to screw the thread protector or chuck right back to the bearing thus locking the whole thing up. Even at that sort of money £799, I do think that a suitable washer or design alteration could have been made available. I have turned my own washer and rectified the problem but I shouldn't have had to.

Generally I do like it though

Regards

Paul

interesting info about the lock up if the chuck is too close.

I found my unit seemed to be a bit stiff after warmed up - put it down to poss not oiling - so tried that but will now look at a small washer also
THANKS for the info.

how often should you put oil in the bearing - I only use my lathe as a weekend project guy so no heavy use.

Len

Ah - the perennial question of how much oil to use. :roll:

I spoke to Record Power about this, and to be honest, they were about as much use a rubber chisel! :D

Like you , I only use my lathe on weekends, and what I do is fill the little filler thingy up before switching on in the morning, and then I don't touch it for the rest of the day. I have had the lathe for about a year and a half now, and so far everything seems OK. :?

To be honest, I think I could get away with less, as when I remove the chuck at the end of the day, I invariably have to wipe the oil off that has crept out of the bearing.

The one thing that Record did say was that the mettle "dish" thingy is a filler - not a reservoir, so don't attempt to keep it full of oil, or you will end up with oil all over you, the wall, the roof etc.... :roll:

Regards

Gary

According to the photocopied instructions that Record sent, you first put 5-6 drops in the hole and then the same again after every two hours of turning and each time you start.
I found it strange that they tell you not to start turning without putting the oil in but they don't send you a small bottle and it seems almost impossible to get. They suggest using SAE 30 motor oil if the 'proper' stuff isn't available

Regards

Paul

You'll soon know if u put tooooo much in...
turn the speed up to full whack and watch the wall behind the lathe... don' t stand in front of the headstock spindle... unless you fancy a spray pattern arty 'T' shirt... :wink:

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and guidance that they have given me on the forum. The problem turned out to be that the spindle had jammed when it was first being pushed through the bearings and bronze bushes. As a result, the chuck etc was able to jam against the bush and with this not being a machined item, there was considerable play.

John Johnson who supplied the lathe took me up to Record and I can only praise their after sales service. I have been turning this afternoon and could not have been happier.

Kindest regards and many thanks again

Paul

Back