CL3 rebuild at last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petercharlesfagg

Established Member
Reaction score
For years I had used my CL3 on a wooden stand with cast iron legs salvaged from a section of BOAC. (That dates them anyway!)

Vibration was one of those things that I had become used to and accommodated to the best of my ability, but recently I accepted a commission that demanded precision and the little vibrations that were transmitted were showing themselves on the surface no matter how hard I tried to overcome them.

Decision time came and a friend Mike Fincher, fabricated a box steel frame (100mm x 100mm x 3mm) to which I could bolt both the legs and the lathe.

After recovering from flu, awaiting delivery and looking after Eli Avisera as he gave a demonstration to the Tudor Rose Woodturners I have finally managed to bolt everything together!

The lathe now runs sweetly and almost silently and it appears that ANY vibrations have been damped out of existence!

Possibly an idea for anyone else suffering from the same symptoms?

Regards Peter.

SAM_0550a.JPG

SAM_0555a.JPG

not really knowing what the original was like in use it's hard to compare to mine, but there are definitely times I wished the whole damm thing was just 'solid' :)

generally I find that the big chunk of 8x3 below the lathe bed etc dampens things quite well, within the overall restrictions of the twin bars approach - until the whole lot starts moving!

from what I can see in the above you have a great match for your legs and lathe in the bed that's been fabricated - effectively a reinforced 8x4 box?

I only have the baby CL1, but with a 1/2 hp 3ø variable speed donk and theat sits on a 6 X 3, or maybe 2 top wooden bar on 4 X 2 cross braced 'A' frame legs bolted to the floor and although I can get some vibration from the twin round bed bars it is very little for what I do. BUT if you have any further pikkies of your set up Peter I would be very interested :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Most of my head/tail stock centres are slotted into extentions on that 6 X 3 and tey are very handy!! :mrgreen: Including my 'cheese wire' for the burnt rings on various bits..

Latest posts

Back