CL2 variable upgrade question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

I've just brought an CL2 lathe and want to upgrade it to a 1HP variable speed motor (to make it into a CL4 non chineese model) - general price seems to be 499.00 for the kit in the shops.

Do any of you guys (or gals) know where I can buy an upgrade kit at a cheaper price or to get the motor and speed controller seperate and do myself.

any help welcome

Len.

Hi Len,

Well you certainly came up with a novel solution as to how to obtain a non-Chinese import CL4 - nice one! =D>

As to your question regarding the variable speed upgrade kit - I am afraid that I can't help you there.

I wouldn't really recommend buying a motor and speed controller separately unless you REALLY know what you are doing - those variable speed controllers are tricky things - you won't be able to get much help from domestic electricians either, as they tend not to be too clued-in on industrial stuff. When you buy them, they are in a "dumb" state, and you have to program in all the variables, some of which are specific to the motor being used - certainly not something for a novice sparky to attempt!

The safer option would be to bite the bullet and buy the kit - I assume that it comes all wired up, and that all you would have to do is a bit of spanner work, which is certainly easier than trying to program a variable frequency drive unit!

Whatever you decide to do - good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Regards

Gary
(I very happy non-Chinese import CL4 user).

Interesting posts - I was about to ask a similar question!
I have a 1hp three phase motor by ASEA (415v star connection or 240v delta, I think) which came off my Startrite bandsaw and looks in perfect condition. So it seemed like a possibility to get/make a variable speed control to go with it and fit it on my Avon lathe. But it sounds from Taffy's post as though that is a difficult task.
Anyone else got any ideas about this?
Or would anyone like the motor itself for a nominal sum, if they have a use for it?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies.

spent a good few nights looking around, very confussing when you don't know about motors and inverters in matching etc.
I even know someone that knows this stuff but he confussed the hell out of me and I know about electrics and electronics - matching as you say is the issue and the motor has to be a face mounting one - info smacked me in the face I just want a simple life sometimes at a cost vs stress.

I will take your advise and look for cheapest kit, they seem to be round 499.00 (within my budget) and cheaper than me getting a new cL4 chineese one inc what I paid for a second hand lathe - just got to ensure the bearing is ok - heard of a few probs with these chineese ones from tailstock not lining up, handles that have broken and castings that seem rough - may be the odd ones but I would rather not take the chance.

maybe I can get a discount via my woodturning club but also going to the martock show this sat so hoping to get a discount deal there.

cheers again for the reply's

happy woodturning

Len.

haydockconverters

forgot to say ...

spoke with haydockconverters the other day - they have stopped selling the cl2/3 to cl4 conversion kit - shame as they were selling it at approx 310.00

thanks for the links anyway

cheers

I have also seen it at

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk

for 399.00 you have to look around some sites have for 499.00 and even one states at 699.00 for the same item.

thanks for the other link - got some choices now.

on the way to the bank

Len.

well i finally brought a 2nd hand lathe CL2 and bit the bullet and ordered an upgrade kit at the show (awaiting to arrive) to make it into a CL4 english model

very pleased with it - makes a big difference from the small DML one i had and means have a CL4 at 200.00 cheaper than buying new.

of course I had to re-arrange the garage - throw out lots, fit a new lighting tube and order some 8x4 sheets of wood to do out the floor to make it into a comfortable working area - spending lots but having fun.
there goes the 200 i have saved ..

I have a task from the girlfriend to make a few pens out of jazz - find the stuff hard to turn - any tips ?
apart from getting rid of the task and girlfriend ......

thanks for your help and advise - very pleased with the results so far.

Len

"Of course I had to re-arrange the garage - throw out lots, fit a new lighting tube"

Just a thought, Len, but have you thought about fitting up an "ordinary" light fitting - something like an Anglepoise? I know I read somewhere that tubes dont' show up the shadows of the corners (for example, when turning legs with square shoulders) like conventional lighting does.

I fitted one to the wall - shown below - and it's really handy and ensures that I'm never "in my own light."

hegner01.jpg

Perhaps others have had similar experience?

Ray.

I also have an "Anglepoise" type lamp over my lathe. You should be careful with florescent tubes as the only source of light since they will strobe the rotating work.

John

Anglepoise here too, you can often pick them up at car boot sales for next to nothing.

cd

I have a fluorescent fitting over the lathe for general lighting, and an anglepoise which I can direct where I need it. It is very handy when hollowing bowls etc, as it can be directed inside, so I can actually see what I am doing, rather then working in shadow!

Gary

I use an 'anglepoise' type lamp, too, on my lathe bench. Very useful to avoid turning in shadows, but really comes into its own for close inspection when finishing. I find it helps to avoid those little sanding scratches which otherwise only seem to become apparent when the finished item it removed from the lathe!

Can anybody tell me what 'jazz' is - as mentioned by Len, above?

Cheers,

Trev.

trevtheturner":2y95o9oi said:
Can anybody tell me what 'jazz' is - as mentioned by Len, above?

Dunno - I wondered about that too, but was too polite to ask! I assumed it was that synthetic stuff that comes in stripes of various lurid colours - it is some kind of plastic IIRC.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I had the same thoughts as you - don't know of anything else it could be. I have used the acrylic blanks, from Turner's Retreat.

Mounted on a mandrel, I turn them to the round using a small gouge. I then use a 1/4" beading/parting tool to turn them to finished size. I use the tool horizontal on the tool rest, set so that the cutting edge is in line with the axis between centre. I use the tool as a scraper, keeping it moving along the workpiece until the desired size is achieved. I then finish the barrels by sanding, if necessary, with 400/500 grit, then use Chestnut burnishing cream to achieve a perfectly smooth, glass-like surface. Finally, an application of car polish before assembly gives spectacular results. I have also used the same process with 'corian' with equal success.

(Thought I had cracked the posting of pics. - my son showed me - but it didn't quite sink in! :oops: I'll have another go and then post some pen pics. IDC)

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi guys,

Well, got the lathe rigged up and new speed controller came today - yippie.

slight probs, on the motor only 3 of the 4 holes were tapped out for screws for the faceplate - had to do the last one myself - quality checks aren't what they used to be.

still now sorted and I am very pleased, took notice ref the lighting mails - thanks - had an old movie camera light - turned down the plastic base to fit an old tool rest and fitted so that the light can travel the rest behind the headstock - works great.

happy now as have a CL4 spec at a cheaper price than a new one and not a chineese model.

also now got the garage floor fully fitted out with wood for a clean tidy up and thrown out 10 yrs of rubbish - time to start turning in a clean enviroment --- seems strange but nice.

have fun turning

Len

oh -- how do you post photo's on here ? - couldn't work it out

len":17o4xcfo said:
Hi guys,
oh -- how do you post photo's on here ? - couldn't work it out
In order for the pictures to appear on the forum, they've got to be hosted on an Internet server somewhere. Then you create a link within your post to the pre-hosted picture and then we get to see it. If you don't have your own web space, no doubt there will be some suggestions from others as to sites where you can upload your pictures. I seem to remember that this has been discussed before, but I'm against the clock so don't have time now to look for it.

Ray.

Len, you can use www.photobucket.com or www.uploadit.org as a picture hosting site. I find uploadit the easiest to use but try them both. Once you've uploaded a suitable sized image just right click on it to get the properties, copy and then paste it between the 2 img tabs in the message reply box.

Rgds

Noel

Back