Circular tenon cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanwetherall

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody any experience with circular tenon cutters. The only ones i can find are the Timber tuff range and the veritas cutter which seam to be able to cut longer tenons. We are starting to make woodland products.
Any advice would be appreciated
Alan

alanwetherall,
just looked the Veritas cutter.....
what overpriced rubbish...looks almost home made...or a cheop Chinese copy found in the pound store.....
speaking of which u should make or adapt something else...
2 things
1, the drive spindle is to small dia.....it will eventually snap plus hit a bit of a tough knot and bingo, also vibration and wobble.....
2, How can somebody with their reputation use a bit of high carbon tin as a cutter.....
plenty of cheap carbide and HSS stock out there....

Dont bother, for a few quid a DIY engineer could make u up something a 100 times better.....
what did u intend to drive it with...?
shame I dont live local.....

At present we are making wonky three legged stools, drilling a 22mm hole and then shaping by hand the legs and gluing and driving them in.
Hope to move on to furniture
alan

Don't know what clogs is looking at re the post above, but the veritas ones are very well engineered, easy and efficient to use.

Very satisfying actually when you get a big pile of apple or potato like peelings !

I use several different sizes for different tasks, including making stools as you describe above, saw horses, benches, camp furniture etc.

They are expensive, but well made and will last indefinitely :)

(Occasionally) see the 'pencil sharpener' type (if that's what you mean) on sale, perhaps spend time
hunting the second hand outlets?

I’ll echo Paulm’s comments, I’ve been using Veritas power tenon cutters since 2014 and they have been absolutely brilliant! The blades keep a good edge even when used on kiln dried hardwoods (oak, ash and beech mostly) but work much much better on green wood. The built in blade sharpening jig is also a clever touch! They take a little getting used to but once you’ve got the hang of them you can produce lots of consistent tenons in a very short amount if
Worth every penny 👍

Another option to look at are the traditional rounding planes from Ray Iles.

There's a chat about them here. Tenon Cutter in General Woodworking The lathe mounted option looks good - a bit tougher than a drill, unless you buy a Hilti.
Heck, I wouldn't want to be in the same room as that operation! How to hold even a chair leg 'safely' on a lathe, then move it inwards?
I do like the brace and bit version - looks quite clever.

I made the reamer but use my lathe to turn the tenons

Attachments

• 20201231_170126.jpg
    20201231_170126.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 21
Those Lumberjack tools look the business. I would think you need the chamfer tool for the 'mortise' and they also sell a dedicated fostner bit to drill green wood. If I understand correctly you should use one dry component and one green or wet. ? That's fine but difficult if you are making a garden gate for instance. Is glue used at all with this technique ?

Has anybody any experience with circular tenon cutters. The only ones i can find are the Timber tuff range and the veritas cutter which seam to be able to cut longer tenons. We are starting to make woodland products.
Any advice would be appreciated
Alan
Yes, I have the veritas ones.
I use them on dry thinish branches. I drill the uprights as green as possible. Once wacked into place no glue or other fixings are needed.
Here is a mallet I made quite a few years ago as a test,

E311FE1F-381B-4FDE-80D5-5E91A076E89B.jpeg
A8A64404-AE46-44CE-A2DE-BCA4535B6506.jpeg

it’s simple and cheap to make a few with the off cuts from other stuff. I mostly make shelving, though not too often as I need to fell a tree to make stuff. I mostly use eucalyptus as it’s a fast growing tree

Those Lumberjack tools look the business. I would think you need the chamfer tool for the 'mortise' and they also sell a dedicated fostner bit to drill green wood. If I understand correctly you should use one dry component and one green or wet. ? That's fine but difficult if you are making a garden gate for instance. Is glue used at all with this technique ?
No glue needed, but getting the holes in the correct locations is quite a challenge if you need more than 2 in a green upright in the same plane. Even more of a challenge is getting the second upright onto the other cross piece if you don’t have help. Then you get to channel your inner caveman with a big mallet.
there is nothing dainty about the process.

The greenwood bit is more an auger than a Forster
As it’s almost 10pm I can’t get a picture of the shelves I built tonight, but if there’s interest I can do that tomorrow, let me know if you are interested.

[QUOTE

The greenwood bit is more an auger than a Forster
As it’s almost 10pm I can’t get a picture of the shelves I built tonight, but if there’s interest I can do that tomorrow, let me know if you are interested.
[/QUOTE]
A picture would be great thanks. Check out Wranglerstar on the Tube who demonstrates the Lumberjack tools.

This chap inspired me to make an outdoor workbench. I did the tenons by hand but he makes the the art of sticking bits if tree into other bits of tree using the tenon cutter look astonishingly easy.

He also made a waterwheel, amongst other things. Quite a therapeutic group of videos of off-grid woodwork for real men.

I did the tenons by hand but he makes the the art of sticking bits if tree into other bits of tree using the tenon cutter look astonishingly easy.
It isn’t too hard 1 by 1. However the wood he used for the mortise was dry so the holding power is poor compared to green wood. The tenon wood should be dry for the maximum holding power.

Back