Circular saw to table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi
Has anyone any plans or experience of constructing a set-up able to take a circular saw and use it as a table saw.

Have spent a fair bit lately on other tools ( kitty getting low :shock:) but I have a half decent circular saw not being utilised.

Thanks

Billzee :)

Hi,

I have not done this but in the latest issue of good woodworking they have a review of router tables, one of which has a plate that allows the fitting of a circular saw to form a table saw. The table is made by performance powerpro which sell through B&Q as well as from the web. you might need to go to a large store to get the table though. Price was £130 I think! Not sure if it allows any saw or only their own though :roll:

Havent seen it so dont know how good it is, and the review was of the router table functions and merely mentioned this feature in passing.

Best of luck

Steve.

Billzee,

Theoretically its no more difficult than inverting a router. You just need a flat sheet as your table top, make a slot for the blade and riving knife to come through, and bolt the saw to the underside. However you would need to make adequate guarding and take extreme care when setting up fences, fit an NVR switch to plug the saw into etc. Personally I wouldn't advise it much, particularly if you don't have much experience so maybe aren't aware of all the possible dangers. Actually, even if you are aware, I still think its not the best way.

Have you considered making a few simple jigs instead? I use a handheld circular saw in preference to a table saw quite a bit and find a couple of home made straight edges like this make it very accurate. You could also make something like this jig or this one to help make more accurate cross cuts. All a lot safer than inverting the saw to my mind.

Hopefully that might give you some ideas.

Cheers, Jester

Black & Decker do (or used to, about 5 years ago) a table saw attachment for the workmate. I never saw it for sale in the UK. I bought mine from a large diy barn in France (Castorama probably). It involved removing one of the wooden tops (they supplied an additional fitting system so the top comes off easily)and replacing it with a metal top which held the circular saw underneath. It has a simple fence but not a miter guage.
I can't find it on the Castorma web site but then I do not remember the french words for it. I'll look when I get home and let you know.
I can't see it on the B&D web page either so maybe it is no longer made.
If you are in France it might be worth looking out for in either Castorama, Mr Bricolage or Leroy Merlin, most of the big towns has at least one of them.

AndyP

Hi
Thanks for the replies.

Ive seen various tables that take a multitude of power tools using different templates but they are pricey. I was thinking of a very low cost or no cost option as the funds are getting low.

Jester, I take your point about attendant safety problems with this idea, and the alternatives you have suggested with jigs look interesting ( not studied them yet). The problem is the saw I have is quite a heavy dude and the thought of hanging onto the blighter for any length of time was something I was trying to get round.

Cheers

Billzee

Back