Circular Saw or Table Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpursDave

Reaction score
I have run out of battens to make trelisses and cannot find anyone chucking them in the skip to collect.
My question therefore is which tool would be preferred for cutting up say 2.4m x 100cm x 1 Inch into 4 strips?
This would be be only use for tool in the forseeable future.
Any help greatly reicieved.
Dave

I would use my table saw with a ripping blade. That would be a real pain with a circular (hand held) saw.

I would use my table saw with a ripping blade. That would be a real pain with a circular (hand held) saw.
Thanks for the reply.I haven't bought either tool yet.Table saw is always sounding better but for longer strips of wood I need clearance both sides and space will become an issue.Whereas using a circular saw would give me more versatility. TBH I do not know the first thing about woodworking and am really really unsure which tool would suit my needs better.

How many strips do you intend to cut?

Might be easier to pay someone to cut them for you.

Bit spendy, buying a table saw to make a trellis or two.

Might even be more expensive in blood and skin to attempt it with a circular saw if inexperienced.

Thanks for the reply.I haven't bought either tool yet.Table saw is always sounding better but for longer strips of wood I need clearance both sides and space will become an issue.Whereas using a circular saw would give me more versatility. TBH I do not know the first thing about woodworking and am really really unsure which tool would suit my needs better.

I get around the space problem with the table saw by opening the door.

A circular saw would be much cheaper, but since it is free hand, a bit of a pain to use for many strips, although it would give you a lot a practice with it. The table saw would also do a better job, as the strips would be more uniform in width, but I am guessing that does not matter for a trellis.

Either way, I would get a decent mask (not paper), and some safety glasses. Most saws have a port to attach a shopvac, if you have one,

I recently did exactly this with a table saw and a specially made narrow push stick.
It is also possible to achieve similar results with a circular saw or better still a track saw but as said above holding the workpiece and supporting the saw safely throughout the cut will require some thought and perhaps some ingenuity.
Whatever you do, if you’re not experienced please take care, this is a tricky cut and these tools don’t take prisoners.

@SpursDave said "TBH I do not know the first thing about woodworking and am really really unsure which tool would suit my needs better."

And I say - get B&Q to cut the wood for you, or anyone else. You are asking for injury if you go and buy either of those power tools for this job. I wouldn't recommend anymore more dangerous than a jigsaw.

A circular saw would be what I'd use, but I've plenty of experience in turning wood planks into strips, and trestles to support the 2.4m lengths of wood on. Otherwise I'd break out my jigsaw with an aggressive wood blade.

I wouldn't go near a table saw 'cos I'm careless by nature and they're unforgiving. (Look up recent threads on here about the dangers of table saws)

Life was easy when battens were readily available but now everyone keeps them or wants to sell them.I run an eco freindly business and have in the past got all materials free but have now had to make the decision to buy one of the items or even both because they both do a job. As trelisses are becoming a big feature of what I do then it is fair to d
say I need a tool that will be easy to use constantly. As for H&S I am only too aware of how costly a mistake could be.Thanks for all your informative replies so far but i suppose until I clear my workshop and see what room I have available the jury is still out.

Oh if you're making a business of it, then definitely a table saw I think (with the appropriate safety courses). Sorry I missed that this was a business-related question.

Well it is sort of a business question>I started selling pallet wood on a self employed basis two months ago officially and need to expand into my original quest. More and more people are suggesting table saw and it seems to be the more popular choice but will have a big clear out and see how if I have the space to accommodate large lengths of timber. I really enjoy wood now and its a bit silly I never took to it until last year and I am just turned 59!!!!

I too use pallet wood for lots of projects because I can get it for free and TBH my skills aren't where they need to be for to be hacking at nice wood :)

You'll want a metal detector then too, for those damn hidden nails...

I make these all the time. I use my radial arm saw for ripping treated sarking, 150X 18. Cutting with a hand electric saw would be too awkward unless you could clamp the full length with an overhang. Then it would get tedious every strip.
For a cheap quick try and see, I would look on facebook marketplace for a cheap table saw. If that's all you would use it for. it would be fine. A good blade makes all the difference. Set it up then rip away. Easy!! If you are considering getting a better table saw you will get lots of good advice on here.

I recently did exactly this with a table saw and a specially made narrow push stick.
It is also possible to achieve similar results with a circular saw or better still a track saw but as said above holding the workpiece and supporting the saw safely throughout the cut will require some thought and perhaps some ingenuity.
Whatever you do, if you’re not experienced please take care, this is a tricky cut and these tools don’t take prisoners.

Ingenuity route:
Circular saw - get a section of thick plywood (18mm minimum) about 4x the size of the circular saw sole plate, bolt said bit of wood to the sole plate (there's usually holes around you can use or just drill some, it won't harm the saw plate, run the blade through it carefully, then turn upside down and mount between a couple of treslets or soemthing, clamp a fence to the required width away from the blade and voila - frankesteins saw.

I did this myself before I got my small table saw, it works, just make sure to set the blade depth to only just breach the top of the timber, you'll get a cleaner cut and much less chance of cutting off fingers.

When you get aroufn to buying a small tabletop saw - don't skimp - spend the money, plenty of good options around for reasonable money.

I too use pallet wood for lots of projects because I can get it for free and TBH my skills aren't where they need to be for to be hacking at nice wood :)

You'll want a metal detector then too, for those damn hidden nails...
I actually am into metal detecting as well and have two detectors

Ingenuity route:
Circular saw - get a section of thick plywood (18mm minimum) about 4x the size of the circular saw sole plate, bolt said bit of wood to the sole plate (there's usually holes around you can use or just drill some, it won't harm the saw plate, run the blade through it carefully, then turn upside down and mount between a couple of treslets or soemthing, clamp a fence to the required width away from the blade and voila - frankesteins saw.

I did this myself before I got my small table saw, it works, just make sure to set the blade depth to only just breach the top of the timber, you'll get a cleaner cut and much less chance of cutting off fingers.
I stopped a contractor I saw doing exactly this on jobsite overseas.
I didn't speak the local language so I grabbed some offcuts and demo'd using them as push sticks.
He seemed to get it, smilled and bowed.
We shook hands.
He was wearing gloves (absolutely endemic in a lot of asia even though we're taught that it can cause more severe injuries) so I smiled too, and lightly pinched his thumb and each fingertip between mine to mime why I was worried for him.
Two fingers along, I squeezed and there was nothing inside the glove ...

If you are going to be making these as a business then you should set up a power feed on the table saw. It is the safest way to get consistent cuts.

Pete

Back