Circular saw opinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Coggy

Sorry I don't know anything about the Skil saw, but I do have a brand new unused Makita 5704 RK circular saw for sale.

I have two, one was bought as a present and I didn't have the heart to say that I already had one. The saw is excellent and if you are interested it can be yours for eighty pounds.

Weekdays, during the day, I am close to J27 of the M1.

Cheers
Neil

Thanks for the offer Neil but i cant buy second hand stuff. Its for funding purposes.

Thanks for the offer though :)

They don't look as good in general as the skil classic which they have stoped making. oh and ive seen the saw your looking at for under £100 at a few places online, infact i think even argos sell it if u want it in 240v.

I have a makita 5704 RK circular saw which i am happy with for the money.

The one in Argos is a "5766" for £79.99

The one ive posted is the 5866 Orca it is new.

The ones you have seen for cheaper could be the 5766 as well.

The cheapist ive found for the one im talking about is :
http://www.george-higgins.co.uk/
Where it is £99.99

And they havent stopped making the skil classic you can get it at the same place above

Thanks for your input

Coggy

I thought the Skils were now being positioned below Bosch Industrials in the market place (Skil have been owned by Bosch since the 1980s), so I'm not sure about their quality. I've had Skil industrial stuff in the past (like the Skil saw) and I'm unsure about the reliability - their stuff doesn't seem to last as long as Makita, Metabo or Bosch blue and they discontinue parts support at the drop of a hat, or so it seems. I use a Bosch GKS86B plunge saw which has the advantage of running on the Bosch rail system (retracting riving knife). The only thing I have to say about the saw is that it is a bit sensitive to rough handling - drop it a few feet off a trestle and you may have to spend tewty minutes or so messing about with the riving knife assembly. Other people have told me that the HolzHer (now deceased) and Festool saws suffer from the same problem. But then we shouldn't be so rough with our kit.....

BTW, Maffell, deWalt and Festool also do rail systems with their saws although I believe that only Maffell and Festool do the plunge saws. The ability to resize flooring plywood in situ with a combination of saw and rail is not to be sneezed at (and when was the last time you bought a perfectly square 8 x 4 and laid it on a perfectly flat floor in a perfectly square building? :wink:), as is the ability to make a plunge cut mid panel (can't say I've used it a whole lot, though) - and the rail can be used with routers and other tools, too.

Scrit

I used to use a Skilsaw Classic but couldn't get the ruddy thing to cut accurately against my guide fences; no option to tweak it on its base you see. I also wasn't much impressed with Bosch's service support either (not for the first time). Got a Hitachi C7BU with electronic brake instead and love it to bits. In fact my dad likes it so much he went and bought a Hitachi jigsaw almost solely based on how much he liked the circular saw. :roll:

Coggy, isn't the Ocra the one without a riving knife at all? I'm not at all sure I'd like that myself. What exactly happens when a hand held circular saw blade gets pinched by the work? I have a feeling it wouldn't be pretty. :shock: I can't honestly understand why Skil/Bosch thought that was a good idea, or how they were allowed do it at all in this safety-conscious world. :?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3g3mej4s said:
Coggy, isn't the Ocra the one without a riving knife at all?

Cheers, Alf

Yes it is. I got one for Christmas. Not had a chance to try it much yet but if I start to get kickback problems I'll let you all know.

Hi Coggy

The Woodworker (sorry Andy), in the shops on Monday, has a review of circular saws.

EDIT. Sorry, the above is not correct. The article is actually about choosing and using a circular saw. It is not a review even though the front page of The Woodworker calls it "Alan Holtham's guide to the best circular saws".

Cheers
Neil

Hi coggy, nice to see you on this forum as well as SFX. I only registered yesterday so have a long way to go reading every posting. :shock:
I wonder if WOLF & Charlie are here or whether they just read it to keep an eye on us :lol:

Latest posts

Back