Circular Saw for under £100

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have reposted this as it was tacked on the end of a three pager - so sorry for the duplication if you are reading this after going through the previous three pages!

I was asking for advice on a c/s for approx £100. The key job I have to hand is to lay a workshop floor (3/4" material) plus a loft to board out. So, with approx £100 in the budget, the options as I see them are the Hitachi C7BU, the Skil Orca or an eBay risk on something like a Dewalt DW62.

Questions - what would you pick from the above, or something I have not listed?

I also would like to know (and thanks scrit for your answer) are C/S like bandsaws, throw away the supplied blade and start again or can they mainly be trusted? If not, any recommendations in combination with one of the above.

And - ---- before you all say, yes I know festool are pdg but the budget (and er indoors won't allow so I am really looking for experiences to help find the best for my budget);->

Thanks,

Simon.

The Hitachi saws have a pretty good reputation...don't know about the prices though, might be a little over your budget at £120. I have a 7.5 in Makita 5704, about £85 from Screwfix. I've had good service from it, even use it in my Triton Workcentre. I would probably get a crosscut blade for sheet material as it will give a cleaner cut. I am currently using a B&Q 40t blade that cost £15, which would take you to your £100 budget. The Makita is a very solid tool which will give you years of work.

cheers

George

George_N":1x9u4r3z said:
The Makita is a very solid tool which will give you years of work.

Another vote for the Makita 5704RK, D&M sell it and the link also shows a Freud 40T blade which would make it excellent for cutting sheet goods. At D&M it would come in at 110, including the blade.

Axminster sell the saw for 84.95.

Or, DIYTOOLS.COM at 84.84. Also, as George said, available at Screwfix for 84.99.

HTH.

Cheers
Neil

Axminster currently have the Hatachi at £65 (reduced from (£85 from memory) which is making it an attractive option!

Simon

in my research, before getting the Triton, the Hitatchi seemed to come out on top.

One small problem - just went to order the Hitachi and they are out of stock and it has been discontinued!

Ar*e!!!! :x

So, fall back option, any experience with the Makita 5704RK?

With thanks as ever!

Simon.

H Simon,

I cannot personally comment on the Makita. But like George, a mate of mine has used their stuff for years and swears by it.
As far as the Hitachi is concerned I used to have a Triton 2000 with an Hitachi C9U installed and it was a great piece of kit I have to say. So assuming that the C7U is of the same quality (although slightly smaller) no reason it shouldn't be, that is what I would go for.
Trawling the net I notice that they have changed the model nos. But anyway this site is the cheapest I could find. Hope this helps.

http://www.toolbank.com/product.cfm?CFID=3231541&CFTOKEN=55661410&rID=1&code=HITC7SB2&nx=7422F07E007CE177C9D6166FFC3C9AB99yff5e

All the best
Trev

Back