Circular saw blades question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just read about the 15% discount off Saxton blades, so I took a look at their site. Good prics, but I don't know whether the blades are suitable for a sliding mitre saw. Are table saw blades the same as mitre saw blades, or is there a difference in tooth geometry for anti kick back or whatever?
Anybody know?

K

No. Table saw blades pull the work down onto the table. Radial arm or mitre saw blades push the work down onto the table. Dangerous to swap them.

MusicMan":19y37uxt said:
No. Table saw blades pull the work down onto the table. Radial arm or mitre saw blades push the work down onto the table. Dangerous to swap them.

I've never seen them sold as two separate items (mitre saw / table saw)? for example, I use Freud blades and they're just sold as 'Circular Saw' blades. Are you saying I should not have them in my mitre saw?

If you are using the blade in a mitre saw or radial arm saw you should use a negative rake blade, this cuts down the chance of the blade climbing over the wood and heading towards you!

In a table saw you want a positive rake blade, this pulls the timber down in to the table towards the blade instead of pushing it back towards you.

Precisely as Doug71 said. A hand-held circular saw is similar to a table saw so far as the rake goes and also needs a positive rake.

It is true that this rather important point is often invisible in manufacturers' literature! Or more probably, that they assume everyone knows when you want positive and when negative rake.

Keith

Well - this is news to me. I almost certainly have the wrong ones in my tools no doubt!

Found this useful image if it helps anyone

7rBb7.png

I've bought blades from Saxton and found them to be pretty good, but individual blades of the same spec can vary slightly in performance. I bought an 80 tooth blade for my sliding mitre saw and was impressed by the quality of cut, which had a polished finish cross cutting. I foolishly used it to re-saw a piece of old timber and hit a nail. The replacement had a slight but noticeable vibration and doesn't give such a clean finish. This hasn't stopped me buying from them and I use them on my track saw and circular saw.
Regards, Paul

I don't doubt there are many better blades on the market, but for occasional amateur use I can't fault Saxton. I've found their jigsaw blades and abrasives good value as well.
edit - their service is brilliant, as well.

Probably the best known cure for constipation is to fit a positive rake blade to an old DeWalt radial arm saw and then cut a 300mm wide oak board.

I believe it's also a cast iron cure for hiccups.

Zeddedhed":2ghaj0w7 said:
Probably the best known cure for constipation is to fit a positive rake blade to an old DeWalt radial arm saw and then cut a 300mm wide oak board.

I believe it's also a cast iron cure for hiccups.
Or fire up a brand new mitre saw without checking the blade is on nice and tight. Happened to a *cough* friend of mine. I wouldn't be that daft [again].

Back