Circular Saw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go with the thin kerf CMT 42T blade, less dust and less load on your saw. I use CMT blades in my tablesaw and can't fault them.

Jason

I use the Freud LP40M and have been very pleased with it. I have cut mostly plywood, but also some MDF and chipboard at times, and the quality of the cut has been very good. I have been using the same blade for a few years now (occasional use only), and only recently has it started to produce slightly less accurate cuts - the fact that I haven't bothered to sharpen the blade might play a part here too, ahem...

I haven't used any other blades (other than the Hitachi blade that came with my circular saw, which doesn't compare at all), so I have no idea of how the Freud compares in general. I'd be happy to buy a Freud LP40M again though.

Alf":oc9ii4sw said:
sxlalan":oc9ii4sw said:
Thanks guys. 3 replies and 3 recommendations...
Pretty normal result then... :lol:

Only 3? I'd expect a minimum of 4 from 3 posters.

Adam

Having just ordered the 1.3mm CMT blade my saw has arrived and the manual states that I shouldn't use blades with a kerf < 1.9mm (due to the thickness of the riving knife) :oops:. Does anyone know the kerf of the Freud LP40M015?

EDIT:

Also I need to know the thickness of the main part of the blade which needs to be < 1.7mm. I had no idea there was so many variables to consider!

Thanks

Alan

Alan
That's probably due to the thickness of the riving knife, not because the saw won't take a thin kerf blade. You can use the blade (I have the thin kerf Frued in my X) but a replacement knife will need to be made-as you cut a piece of wood it all goes fine until it hits the riving knife behind the blade and it just stops (DAMHIKT).
So all is not lost.
Cheers
Philly :D

Alan

I got this Freud blade at Axminster: Freud LU11M triple chip blade - its kerf is 3mm but its clean cutting on ply has to be seen to be believed. Its as smooth as the Festool set up.

Cheers

Tim

sxlalan":1d0s2jev said:
Having just ordered the 1.3mm CMT blade my saw has arrived and the manual states that I shouldn't use blades with a kerf < 1.9mm (due to the thickness of the riving knife) :oops:. Does anyone know the kerf of the Freud LP40M015?

EDIT:

Also I need to know the thickness of the main part of the blade which needs to be < 1.7mm. I had no idea there was so many variables to consider!

Thanks

Alan

The following shows the Freud LP40M (doesn't state whether it is the 015 or something else) as having a kerf of 2.4mm: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18695

It doesn't specify the thickness of the main body of the blade though. If it is of any use, I can check my LP40M this evening and post it here tomorrow.

Alan,
The kerf on my LP40M is 2.4mm, and the blade body is 1.6mm thick. My blade is the 180mm one (maybe the blade body thickness varies for different diameter blades, although I doubt it).

Back