Circular Saw Blade Options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuartgb100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for advice on buying a blade.
The machine is a Wadkin AGS 10, which will take a 12 inch blade for ripping.
30mm bore.

I've inherited 5-6 cubic metres of 2nd hand well-seasoned oak which originally came from a barn (so wall and roof members).
Sections vary from 2x6 inches, up to around 9x9 inches. Lengths up to approx 6 metres.

The biggest problem with machining (apart from the sheer weight) is going to be old nails.

Is there a blade available that could cope with the odd nail ?

Thanks.

No
One nail can "screw" a blade.
If you can see the nails - remove them
If you can't see them, use a metal detector to find them.
Even carbide tip blades will not be happy with nails !
Of course, you could buy lots of blades.

Yes, there are nail tolerant blades. Swedex, CMT for instance do them.
Carbide is used in metalwork to cut metal right up to forging dies and exotics so the right carbide mixture on the blade tips will be able to accommodate the odd nail.
What would I buy, well the two brands I mention in the order they appear.

A lot of it is to do with the blades geometry, some grinds will be more tolerant of encountering steel than others, namely a TCG blade will be a better candidate than ATB. It all depends on what nails you’re cutting though, small pin nails are pretty much a non-issue even with most blades, much larger diameter nails get more tricky and hardened screws are an entirely different matter.

I think Atkinson Walker used to do a “PalletBuster” blade which was for cutting up pallets, obviously, and was designed exactly for encountering nails.

If you think it will only be the odd nail I would be tempted to just get a cheap blades form say Saxton blades, put on a pair of safety specs and crack on. As said a TCT tipped blade will deal with small nails and nails are often rusted away to almost nothing in old reclaimed wood, especially Oak.

Some of the blades that will also cut metal have the anti kick back features and different geometries etc so you won't be ripping your Oak as quickly with them.

It depends how many and how big the nails will be :dunno:

Back