Circular saw blade for dirty wood with old nails?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alasdair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there, Can anyone point me in the general direction for a saw blade that can cope with old wood with nails if there is such a thing. I have a large stack of old mahogany that came from huge pallets. I would like to make rustic garden furniture with it. The beams are aprox 100mm square and 3.5 metres long. I need to rip them into planks etc. I have seen some advertised but not sure how long they would last. The saw I use is an old Norsaw with a 400mm blade. Cant remember the centre bore. I assume I could use one with a smaller diameter which would perhaps cut slower. I don't want to spend a fortune and discover it doesnt work.
Thanks
Alasdair

I’ve used a Swedex blade before designed for nails etc, I was very happy with it.

Evolution rage saws are combination saws with a blade limiter built into the tooth profile. Doubt they go above 250mm though.

Thank you, Will have a look online. Theres a lot of nails but they are pretty thin and rusty. I assume if I cut slowly it should be ok.

If you go slowly you can overheat the blade, and it will dull quickly, with a 16” blade you will need to be motoring to get the specified linear m / min.

Hi there, not sure what speed my old saw runs at. Cuts just about anything with the 400mm TCT blade fitted. It used to be three phase but I converted it years ago. I get the overheating problem when using some old steel plate blades with wide set. Could be they arent as sharp or the set is wrong.
Thanks Alasdair

Evolution rage saws are combination saws with a blade limiter built into the tooth profile. Doubt they go above 250mm though.

FYI: Evolution blades are designed to run at lower rpm than most blades - for use in Evolution saws (which run slower than other machines by design.)

FYI: Evolution blades are designed to run at lower rpm than most blades - for use in Evolution saws (which run slower than other machines by design.)
Thanks true, hadn't thought of that. Do they work in other saws safely?

Quick question. As my saw takes 400mm blades what is the smallest I can go and also the maximum distance from the riving knife for safety. I assume my knife is adjustable but how much smaller diameter of blade not quite sure.
Sorry if its an obvious question but I did read somewhere online that 6/10 of the maximum diameter is the min. For a 400mm blade that I think would be 240mm so would 250mm be ok.
Alasdair

there's an evolution blade now sized at 350mm.....again watch for the speed range...
I tried to buy the machine but at the time they were only for sale in the states.....
Check with saw manufacturers they may just do something that will suit but at norm wood speeds..
there are still a few makers in Shefield....I was checking as I wanted a 1m blade for green wood..

To answer your question on blade size, the answer it it depends. Each diameter of saw blade has a designed peripheral speed, your saw needs to be able to spin the blade within the speed band of the saw. The smaller the blade the faster the spindle speed needs to be. Most quality saws that can take a large blade will have some form of speed adjustment, mine for instance has three different speed setting achieved by moving between different diameter pulleys. Go into the Swedex we’d site and download their saw blade catalogue, the intro has probably the best write up on saw blade parameter and how to use / select I’ve come across.

Hi there had another look at my norsaw. My model is 1602 but cant find any data on it. The newer models 1603 spindle runs at 2200rpm and with a 400mm blade. Peripheral speed is 48 metres/sec. Thats from the three phase motor. Mine might be running slightly faster as I converted to single phase. The evolution max rpm is 1600 so I think my saw is to fast for the blades. Been looking at Bosch 400mm wood construct 2608640693 mainly because I can get one for £31-50 on amazon so wont break the bank if it doesnt work. It also states on the saw that the minimum size of blade is 400mm.

Latest posts

Back