Circular saw blade advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elsmandino

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought a Mac Allister plunge saw and note that it comes with a 165mm 24-tooth TCT blade.

I have yet to use the thing but thought I would do a bit of research first, before using it.

I am glad I did, now, as I am not convinced that the blade that came with the saw is the best.

I would be really grateful for any general advice on what additional blades I might need to buy.

What kind of wood/material will you be cutting? And what will you be making?

That would influence your choice of blade.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Exclusively wood.

I have a new kitchen tabletop that I would like to cut to size, plus I need to replace some of the supporting frame.

I also need to cut some wood to size to replace parts for a side gates.

They are obviously built to a price. A lot depends what you plan to cut and the finish you require. I would at least try the blade. In my plunge saw there is a quick blade change mechanism and I use a variety of blades. For fine work, high quality blades with a lot of teeth are your friend. Much better finish and minimal break out. I probably have 60 tooth tct in most of the time, but also have much finer. If I am using my track saw, speed is not of the essence and cuts are rarely deeper than 22mm. I am mainly interested in quality of cut. In your shoes I would probably hunt on line for a 48 tooth or 60 tooth Freud. Somewhere around the £22 mark. Or this pair which gives you 48 and 60 for £23. https://www.its.co.uk/pd/302513-160mm-x ... gLYOvD_BwE

I should add that I am using a Mafell and I use Mafell blades in it. Never used a MacAllister. But all plunge saws do much the same and money spent on decent blades is usually worth it if you do any kind of volume of work.

Can be guaranteed to not be a good blade. You could get away with probably anything from Screwfix/the big shops, or if you want to be guaranteed good quality, anything from the usual suspects, Bosch/Makita/Dewalt.

elsmandino":3hy77ffq said:
Hello,

I recently bought a Mac Allister plunge saw and note that it comes with a 165mm 24-tooth TCT blade.

I have yet to use the thing but thought I would do a bit of research first, before using it.

I am glad I did, now, as I am not convinced that the blade that came with the saw is the best.

I would be really grateful for any general advice on what additional blades I might need to buy.

Bit of an update - the bore size on my saw is 20mm. Bought a 60-tooth blade from Screwfix and was pretty impressed with the quality of the cut.

Google these if you're still looking:

BOSCH TOP PRECISION 165 20T WOOD 2608642385

BOSCH TOP PRECISION  WOOD 165 32T 2608642386

There's a 48T version too.

Latest posts

Back