Circular blade for tenons?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamoF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've got 60 m+t joints to cut and plan on cutting the tenons on the table saw using my crosscut sled. The only issue it the ATB blade leaves a very uneven finish due to the alternating bevel. I guess a purely flat blade would cause a lot of tearout and I can't fit a dado blade on my saw either. I'm looking for an ATBR blade but can't find one in the UK to fit my Axminster tabke saw. Tis the aw254sb.

Thoughts? Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers in advance

Damo

Use the ATB. Vertical to cut the cheeks and then on the flat to get the length and clean cut for the shoulder. If there is a touch left in the corner a couple careful passes with a sharp chisel or marking knife will clean it up. Try a bit of scrap to get the hang of it.

Pete

Use the ATB. Vertical to cut the cheeks and then on the flat to get the length and clean cut for the shoulder. If there is a touch left in the corner a couple careful passes with a sharp chisel or marking knife will clean it up. Try a bit of scrap to get the hang of it.

Pete

Vertical! Of course! Hahaha I had the thing on its side taking a million passes. Thank you :)

Couple of thoughts. Vertical cuts way to go unless length of timer prohibits owing to space or safety. Uneven surface likely to be compensated for by glue - I've never had an issue with this in the past. I don't find tear out an issue when I use a 5mm CMT grooving blade, but tend use it for limited cuts with proper backing/sacrificial support.

Back