Cigar box guitar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy F

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have always wanted to make a guitar and will make a proper one when I get time, but I was at the local amenity site (throwing stuff away), but couldn't resist taking home a load of hardwood window frames, Sapele I think. I also found an old electric guitar there which supplied the machine heads and the electrics, so I made this project. I didn't have a cigar box so I used some 6mm ply to make one. It worked first time, but I do apologise for the poor photography and the fact that there are some stages missed out.

I don't play the guitar so I gave it to a friend and it was played at a pub gig. He got a tune out of it while I joined the band and played the harmonica (badly).

The youtube videos I have seen make a lot of getting the fretboard and neck right and I can see why. That was the most work. The body and electrics were easy. I used a fretboard template available on the net (PRS size of 25") The only thing I bought was fret wire from ebay. I was going to keep to the scrap model of construction and use old masonry nails but they would have been too difficult to attach to the wood and to file down.

Andy

Attachments

• guitar1.jpg
    guitar1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 18
  • guitar2.jpg
    guitar2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 21
  • guitar3.jpg
    guitar3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 20
  • guitar4.jpg
    guitar4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 20
  • guitar5.jpg
    guitar5.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 21
  • guitar6.jpg
    guitar6.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 30
  • guitar7.jpg
    guitar7.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 30
Thats a good start Andy. An instrument that plays. I have seen a lot out there for sale on ebay and at festivals that have no regard to fret spacing and are unplayable. Some mug punters still buy them too. You were right getting proper fret wire as anything else is too difficult.
I made my first one a few years ago and after playing it a bit my mind was pondering what I would do different on the next one so be warned its another woodworking rabbit hole you fall into. Think I am up past 25 now.

Chord structure lesson for 3 string Cigar Box Guitars - YouTube

That guy's videos should get you playing it.
Regards
John

Making frets would be an absolute nightmare I suspect, maybe slightly less so if the fretboard is flat...

I made my first one a few years ago and after playing it a bit my mind was pondering what I would do different on the next one so be warned its another woodworking rabbit hole you fall into.

I think I am teetering on the edge. I already have some plans printed off for a hollow bodied guitar, and a very nice piece of mahogany shelving that will give me two necks. Just looking for some old damaged maple and rosewood furniture to turn up in the auctions. Hardwood is impossible to get here, so I will probably end up buying some components online, but I didn't want to go down the kit guitar route.

I have used old furniture as a source of wood as well as recycled cedar wall lining boards. I even did a fretboard from bamboo flooring. For an electric the wood is not so critical. I did a semi hollow body with ply and pine for the sides. I copied the general shape from a kit I did just to get the hang of electric guitars. For something acoustic things get a bit harder. I dont set out to have them look like they are off the shelf so that lets me use just about anything that will get the job done. I do mostly boxes and most people want real cigar box bodies but I find they sound not as good as making the body yourself. Some pics of the ply, pine, blackwood and bamboo tenor guitar. The customer is very happy happy with it.
Regards
John

Attachments

• P1010003 (2).JPG
    P1010003 (2).JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010002 (2).JPG
    P1010002 (2).JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010005 (3).JPG
    P1010005 (3).JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 10