Chucks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting a second Versachuck to save swopping jaws around so often, but turns out Toolpost don't do them now due to supply chain problems, don't know if that's temporary or permanent, assume it's permanent.

So, thought I might try the Axminster Super Precision instead, and looks like Axi' don't do that anymore either :(

Wanted to stick with either of those two for ease as all the various jaws fit, and don't want anything too small or light duty.

Any suggestions, or info' on whether Toolpost or Axi' might start resupplying ?

Cheers, Paul

Paul, I believe the SP is due to be back this coming spring some time, but all the Axi chucks are the same carrier interface as far as jaw fixings/configuration
Agreed not all are as satisfying in operation as the SP but I get on fine with the 125mm as a supplement to my SP.

Another thought pointer when looking for additional chuck:
<<< Clicky Pic.

Good idea Chas, could use the 125mm goliath for the largest jaw sizes for coring out blanks with the O'Donnell system, and other outsize work, and fit the Versachuck with the O'Donnell jaws for more everyday stuff :)

Think that's decided me !

I have some cole jaws for my Vicmarc 100mm chuck but never really use them as too much hassle to mount them and adjust in use, tend to use an mdf drive board or cushioned drive centre for reverse chucking which seems a lot easier and quicker most of the time.

Cheers, Paul

The Goliath is temporarily out of stock at Axi' too :(

Who would have thought it was this difficult to spend money in today's economic climate !

Cheers, Paul

I`ve just been on the Toolpost site and seen that they are having supply chain problems,I`m asuming they along with Axminster precision chucks are made in the same part of China,probably the same region that is having all the strikes for better wages,hopefully the problem will resolve before to long and customers can get there hands on them again,as apart from the Oneway stronghold chuck,no other chuck can take the loads these three chucks can,and are reasoably priced,or maybe some other manufacturer will make a big chuck at a reasonable price,we`ll have to see I supose,regards,

Eric.

The Ax SP Chuck was outsourced to Poland initially, but recently they had significant quality problems (not sure whether it was still made in Poland or had gone further East). Anyway, was speaking to a mate at Axminster who told me that production has recommenced in the UK. The other chucks that Ax made that were made abroad (was it the K10?) are also being brought back in house. The SP chuck is already in production and Ax have to meet a large order for delivery to Germany and when this is complete the item will be back on the UK shelves.

Interesting that what goes round comes round, I understand that Record have brought the manufacturer of their castings back to the UK and they are now manufactured back in Sheffield.

Perhaps the rest of the UK ought to follow their example and, amongst other things, shut down those b****y call centres.

Hello all,

Just thought i would clear things up with regards to the Super Precision Chuck. Axminster have withdrawn the chuck from being manufactured in China as we intend to bring the production to our own factory in Axminster. This is currently in the design and pre-production processes and will be available in due course.

The K8, K10 and Goliath have always been made in Axminster. These are currently out of stock due to such a high demand, our factory is working flat out to improve the delivery times. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Richard.

Any ideas as regards timescales for the SP? A month/ 3months/ 6months? What about pricing? Will it remain at a similar level or increase due to UK manufacturing costs?

It's a fantastic chuck, I wish I had at least one more.

Cheers
Aled

At the moment i would not like to make any promises but fingers crossed it will be approximately 6 months.
As soon as we have any indication of pricing i will let you all know.

Regards,

Richard.

Back