• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Chucks jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

GrahamRounce

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello - I'm getting very sick of fiddling about with an allen key whenever I want to change the 4 jaws on my Nova chuck.
Anyone know of an easier system, eg and ideally, snap-in/out jaws?
Thanks,
Graham.

Inspector

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck!
Reaction score
How many sets of jaws are you swapping? Easier to get another Nova chuck or two and leave them mounted and probably close to the same cost as one of the fancy chucks. No good though if changing chucks is too much. ;)

Pete

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you remove the jaw carriers on your Nova or are they captive?

If easily removable one option is to get additional carriers and mount alternate auxiliary jaws on them.
Somewhat quicker to change out than changing the auxiliary jaws.

The over the top method is to have several chucks set up for your preferred method of working.

There are chuck brands that have quick change jaws, doubt they would be remotely compatible with your existing chuck.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the Nova and supernova jaws are the same but a versa chuck with extra carriers would be an option
I have one and use Robert Sorby and Axminster on mine as they supply carriers for both as well as other manufacturers jaws

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
Battery screwdriver makes changing the jaws so much quicker. Make sure the torque setting isn't too high as it can rip the chuck out of your hands (DAMHIK).

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Robbo3":21yfs0j6 said:
Battery screwdriver makes changing the jaws so much quicker. Make sure the torque setting isn't too high as it can rip the chuck out of your hands* (DAMHIK).
That's what I use 90% of the time, especially with the Cole Jaws where eight is the minimum fixings but often twenty-four when I'm using my auxiliary spacers.
(*I always fit jaws with chucks mounted, I find it so much easier to handle than when off lathe)

Latest posts