Chuck removal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about a wood lathe but to a metal turner the idea of putting a washer of any kind behind the chuck is a definite no no. The manufacturer will have gone to a great deal of trouble to ensure the mating surfaces are accurately machined to ensure your chuck runs true, now you are proposing to undo that by sticking a plastic washer in there. Just make sure the threads are nice and clean then just put a smear of copaslip on them, and the mating face. The chuck on a metal working lathe gets a lot more force applied to it than a wood lathe ever will, but I have Never known one seize on if you follow that method.

I dont do wood turning but Ive had a go on a mates axminster and one thing I didnt like was the initial turning where your knocking off the corners, whack whack whack and with the leverage on the piece I would think that a wood lathe gets its chuck very tight if you allow it any movement,,anyway, I wondered, is it better to assemble the bits dry,,what do the manufacturers recommend?
Steve.

Forgot to say - in the absence of a C spanner you can use the bar to lock the spindle by having a block of wood under it, or a piece of metal, with other end on the lathe bed as per rough sketch below. Keep it tight up to the spindle and the bar and it will be solid and less likely to bend, while tapping the spanner on the chuck itself.

lathe.jpg

Can we start by saying that the photos show a face plate not a chuck.
Whilst the comments in this thread are normally true they don't cater for a well used or even an abused machine. The amount of play on some lathe spindles has to be felt to be believed - as I had to prove to an established turner with a better lathe.
In these cases an HDPE washer made from eg a milk carton, allows the chuck to be removed much more easily without inducing run out.
Garno, I would be tempted to drill a fresh hole a quarter or a half turn around the boss from the elongated one. Start with a small drill & work up to the correct size.

Can do yes but it makes no difference! It has two flats for a spanner, that's the important thing.

This is what I purchased, Amazon.co.uk I genuinely thought it was a screw chuck but reading the description it does say face plate/screw chuck. At this stage of my learning it's an easy mistake to make. I will look for a screw chuck now :)

Garno
To be honest, I don't think you should purchase anything else until you fully understand the various components and accessories of a lathe.
Best by far to make contact with a woodturning club near you and ask them for advice. Even if you are unable to attend meetings, I would be very surprised if they didn't offer some help and perhaps even sort you out with a few bits and pieces at very modest cost.
Good luck
Duncan

Garno
To be honest, I don't think you should purchase anything else until you fully understand the various components and accessories of a lathe.
Best by far to make contact with a woodturning club near you and ask them for advice. Even if you are unable to attend meetings, I would be very surprised if they didn't offer some help and perhaps even sort you out with a few bits and pieces at very modest cost.
Good luck
Duncan
By all means join a club if you've got the time and can be bothered etc but don't be put off by making a few mistakes it's all part of the process!

Yeah ............. why do things the easy way when you can do them the hard (and potentially very expensive) way? :LOL:
It's part of the learning curve. Doesn't do to be too timid and frightened of making mistakes.
Very often the easy way works. Just think of sharpening and what a fiasco of "correct" procedures are proposed by the massed ranks of amateur gurus!

Garno, you don't need another screw chuck as you have already got one. By removing the screw it becomes a faceplate.
From memory, there should be a threaded insert, accessed from the rear, which captures the screw & stops it from rotating.

Back