Chuck question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindrift

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a recent newcomer to woodturning and picked up a Record Power No. 0 lathe via Ebay a few weeks ago. It came with a bag of bits and pieces, including this three-jaw chuck, which I would very much like to identify. There are no markings on the chuck other than two numbers on the face. Just in case they are not clear from the photos, the numbers are:
H14351
9580-00805

Also, this may be a stupid question, but is there anyway of updating this chuck? Ideally I would prefer jaws that provide a better all-round grip rather than at just three points.

Thanks.

Attachments

• A16F6D81-581A-41CB-A138-C611E6DF1575.jpeg
    A16F6D81-581A-41CB-A138-C611E6DF1575.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 533BB411-29A0-4F7B-8631-0EA6FDDAFE4E.jpeg
    533BB411-29A0-4F7B-8631-0EA6FDDAFE4E.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 24
According to the part number, that is a Pratt Burnerd standard accuracy three jaw 80mm chuck. Dates from 1992 onwards. You have the outside jaws on the chuck. Do you have the other three inside jaws?
The logo is missing from the chuck and it would have had a warning label, hence the two recesses. You could get a reasonable price for it.

pratt.JPG

pratt2.JPG

Hi,

I'm a recent newcomer to woodturning and picked up a Record Power No. 0 lathe via Ebay a few weeks ago. It came with a bag of bits and pieces, including this three-jaw chuck, which I would very much like to identify. There are no markings on the chuck other than two numbers on the face. Just in case they are not clear from the photos, the numbers are:
H14351
9580-00805

Also, this may be a stupid question, but is there anyway of updating this chuck? Ideally I would prefer jaws that provide a better all-round grip rather than at just three points.

Thanks.
I am no wood-turner but would something like this be versatile enough for your intended projects ?
https://www.rutlands.com/sp+precision-100-woodturning-chuck-kit+M_R2520?tyah=y

Hi,

H14351
9580-00805

Thanks.
https://www.rutlands.com/sp+precision-100-woodturning-chuck-kit+M_R2520?tyah=y

Although originally intended for Metal working, there is no reason that this chuck can't be used for wood or industrial plastic, though I would recommend buying at least one set of [Soft] jaws which can be used 'as they are' or as 'Carriers' to hold wood or plastic [Jaws]. This does of course presume that you also have a means to machine - well at least drill and tap - the soft jaws.

Here's a link to such :
https://rdbarrett.co.uk/product/pra...AeTRpJp0cITOS60czYZkbxHoKuIM1mbIaAsm_EALw_wcB
Naturally, there are other suppliers.

According to the part number, that is a Pratt Burnerd standard accuracy three jaw 80mm chuck. Dates from 1992 onwards. You have the outside jaws on the chuck. Do you have the other three inside jaws?
The logo is missing from the chuck and it would have had a warning label, hence the two recesses. You could get a reasonable price for it.

View attachment 119419

View attachment 119420
Thank you, that's very helpful. Yes, I do have the other set of jaws, so I am going to weigh up my options.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Yes, I do have the other set of jaws, so I am going to weigh up my options.
These are great chucks. If the scrolling action is OK as you move the jaws, then there's a good chance its in OK condition. as J-G says, you can use this chuck to turn wood. I now turn wood on my metal lathe and it works very well. Much better precision than with the wood lathe, but just for functional pieces. The inside and outside jaws give a lot of versatility. If I were you, I would keep it for a while. See what new wood chuck you get, perhaps there will be times where you can make use of the Pratt.
The jaws are numbered, 1,2 and 3, so they have to go in the corresponding position in the body of the chuck.

Despite what a few others have said, I would not advise using a chuck like this for turning wood other than very small pieces because the jaws give much less contact area and support than the types of jaw used with woodturning chucks. When used correctly, woodturning chuck jaws have almost 360° contact and other enhancements such as dovetails, serrations etc. to further increase grip.

Metalworking chucks were designed to grip metal, woodturning chucks were designed to grip wood. There is a reason they are different!

I would keep it and use it where prudent. The main reason I would only use them for special stuff is the jaws stick out and are very painful if they hit your knuckle. Same goes if they catch your tool. It doesn't cost you anything at this point to hang on to so give it some time before deciding. In the mean time start looking to see what wood lathe chucks are available and get one when you understand them and are ready.

Pete

I would sell it and put the money towards a proper woodturning chuck. Less chance of mashed knuckles and less chance of newbie turner dig-ins launching a piece of wood into your face.
Don't buy that Rutlands chuck unless you're sure you'll never need more jaws or an insert for another thread size. The advert, by the way, verges on lies with its claims about special features.
Choose from either the Axminster range or the Record Power/Robert Sorby/Nova range and then you'll have a good selection of jaws and inserts available for future purchase.
Duncan

I would sell it and put the money towards a proper woodturning chuck. Less chance of mashed knuckles and less chance of newbie turner dig-ins launching a piece of wood into your face.
Don't buy that Rutlands chuck unless you're sure you'll never need more jaws or an insert for another thread size. The advert, by the way, verges on lies with its claims about special features.
Choose from either the Axminster range or the Record Power/Robert Sorby/Nova range and then you'll have a good selection of jaws and inserts available for future purchase.
Duncan

I have bought a few things from Rutlands, but I find that as a tool retailer they are sometimes a bit niche, and often overpriced. I don't like paying a premium just for a third-party retailer to stamp their name on a tool. The identical items can often be purchased elsewhere for much less. As for the chuck, if I do decide to get a replacement, it is likely to be the Record Power SC3. I contacted them today and they have confirmed that the chuck will fit my lathe (3/4" 16tpi).

Back