Chuck Lock Nut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Having fitted my reverse switch, and as pointed out by people here, I really need to have a locking nut. Can anyone suggest a supplier of 1" 8tpi nuts? And or washers?

Many thanks.

Munty Scruntfundle":12q6vv97 said:
Hi folks.

Having fitted my reverse switch, and as pointed out by people here, I really need to have a locking nut. Can anyone suggest a supplier of 1" 8tpi nuts? And or washers?

Many thanks.

The locking device is normally a grub screw fitted on a collar which is part of the chuck. this may mean buying a new chuck with this facility on it.

A lock nut would really do nothing more than what already exists when the chuck is tightened against the registry face on the spindle. Adding a nut is only adding a new registry face and nothing more, if anything it’s probably more unsafe as there’s less threads engaging with the chuck.

As Dalboy said, the chuck itself needs a grub screw which engages on the bare spindle behind the threads, most are fitted with them already.

The locking screw is located so that it engages in the rear thread relief groove just in front of the spindle locating register.
chuck1.jpg
chuck2.jpg

Attachments

• chuck1.jpg
    chuck1.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 199
  • chuck2.jpg
    chuck2.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 291

Latest posts

Back