Chuck Kits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Out of the above, get the record one. The craft supplies is obsolete and the rutlands one will only be compatible with their jaws. The record uses sorby and nova jaws so you have a much wider selection.

I have the Record SC3 kit and am very pleased with it - no experience of the others, they might be just as good or better. Nicely designed and manufactured, jaws fit the various recesses properly and it all 'feels right'. Extra jaws easy to buy - I've added the 35mm standard and the pin - not pen - jaws and can't imagine ever needing more.

You do need to specify the lathe thread though so record might not be the best for anyone with 2 or more lathes or planning a change - a universal chuck with the right adapter would be best if that's the case. The more expensive SC4 has better protection of the adjustment mechanism, but as long as you brush any dust out of the back occasionally the SC3 should meet most needs.

Recordpower sell direct and have £10 off at the moment. Most re-sellers should be able to match the direct sell price.

Just to reiterate what's been said .... the Rutlands chuck is 75mm not the normal 100mm.
The Record SC3 is 90mm, lightweight but direct threaded. That's only a problem if you change your lathe to one with a different thread. You won't notice the 10mm difference (from 100mm).
The Craft Supplies is way overpriced for an ancient chuck. IIRC you have to precise in the sizing of your spigots for this chuck.
The SC3 is the best of your group but the Record SC4 or the Versachuck are another step up if you can afford it.

Thanks guys. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading my lathe any time soon. The Record looks good value and I’m loathe to buy anything from Rutlands generally.

Cheers!

El Barto":38b9itvd said:
Thanks guys. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading my lathe any time soon. The Record looks good value and I’m loathe to buy anything from Rutlands generally.

Cheers!

I feel the same but I still check the website all the time but usually just get lost trying to find stuff and give up!

El Barto":2wgazvo9 said:
I don’t think I’ll be upgrading my lathe any time soon
When you do "upgrade" then let us know. I would avoid a 3" chuck and the Record one is much better.

Best would be a Record SC4 chuck because it has an enclosed scroll and it's future proof compared to SC3 (£100 vs 130):

The Record SC4 is sold with an insert e.g. you could add a 3/4” 16tpi chuck insert for your lathe. It also comes as a "kit" with the insert matched to your current lathe and also includes a woodworm scroll (threaded) insert and 2" jaws - both are good accessories to start with.

Later you will buy accessories (jaws etc.) which tie you "in" to this system - that will be OK - as the money "invested" won't be wasted.

Finally, when you do "upgrade" you can switch the insert for a new one e.g. M33 x 3.5 is very popular (£15) and your investment in existing jaws is preserved! If you never upgrade then a 4" chuck is still a good investment and SC4 is slightly bigger than SC3.

The Record kit arrived today (£100 plus free very quick delivery from D&M Tools, good service). All looks good - I'll be trying it out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips and replies.

Back