Chuck key lost

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I've lost my Jacobs chuck key, I'm going to order a new one online... Are they all 'K3' size.... Is that the standard? None of my regular drill keys fit.... Thanks

Jacobs is a brand name so they’ll have manufactured many sizes of chuck with different keys, usually there is a code on the chuck itself which you can google to see what size key you need.

Jacobs is a brand name so they’ll have manufactured many sizes of chuck with different keys, usually there is a code on the chuck itself which you can google to see what size key you need.
Many thanks Doug, i'll take a look :)
Hi Doug, sorry to bother you with this question again... the code on my M2 chuck says 16mm JT6 but i can't find a key for that, only K3 C3 !! Do you think this one will work.... thanks...... 16mm Chuck Key 11 Teeth Rubber Coated 3-16mm Drill Chuck To Fit Jacobs K3 C3 | eBay

Places like Toolstation (and the 'bay) do 4 way chuck keys with a different size on each arm. Might that help?

There's one on ebay with a decent diagram and dimensions. The way I've written it below, first is diameter of the bit that goes in the hole, second is the 'fattest bit' of the gear.

5.5 - 14
6 - 13
6.2 - 16
6.2 - 17.3

They also do a bigger one

5.9 - 17
6 - 18
7.7 - 19.3
9.3 - 27.2

A search for Professional Large/Small 4 Way Drill Chuck Key Drills Drill Power Presses Tool on ebay might get you exactly there because of the misuse of the plural.

Last edited:
I bought a 4 way universal one from ebay (approx £3 inc postage). Its main use is to establish the size to enable a decent one to be sourced. in fact its only use is that, I think it was made from cathedral city.

Was in the same boat just a week ago, lost a key to my 16mm Chuck. What made it worse is that the chuck had no markings on it apart from "16mm" (both m in capitals!!!)

Ordered the 4 way Chuck on Amazon, none of them fit, all were small.

Then I ordered this, perfect fit and quick delivery from this seller on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PFW2LT3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_a28VFbB76AR7D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot, the 11 teeth seem to be the 'key' here... Some are 13 !

Last edited:
same'o...in the end took the chuck of the pillar drill and took it with me to the tool shop......
I would but here in Spain the shops are basic, a slightly longer shoelace would be considered 'specialized'

Thanks for the info all, the more i look the more confusing it seems to get, i'm just going to order a 16mm 11 tooth key to start, trial by elimination, i'll be billing my kitten for this.

Stuart is the man you need. Excellent service in providing Jacobs chuck keys. He's probably got yours listed but if you can't see it he will certainly help you.
Brian

Following all of this, realizing there are more varieties than I thought possible, I have resolved that:

1. I will measure all of my chuck keys and count the teeth
  2. I will write this information on a sticker and stick the sticker to the tool/machine to which it relates
  3. I will do this now before I lose any chuck keys
:)

Stuart is the man you need. Excellent service in providing Jacobs chuck keys. He's probably got yours listed but if you can't see it he will certainly help you.
Brian
I have one last cunning plan, if that fails i'll hit Stuart up for sure, thanks.....

Following all of this, realizing there are more varieties than I thought possible, I have resolved that:

1. I will measure all of my chuck keys and count the teeth
  2. I will write this information on a sticker and stick the sticker to the tool/machine to which it relates
  3. I will do this now before I lose any chuck keys
:)
Also string/wire would have helped, i've just ordered some magnets to help glue my life together, looking forward to a future where small metal things are safe.

You could go to local Screwfix or tool station and ask to see their chucks - take your chuck and compare.
Or be brave and just get a new keyless chuck 😁
We don't have futuristic stores like that here, the keyless chuch thing does sound tempting though.

Latest posts

Back