Chuck jaws standard/interchangeable?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I have a four jaw chuck for my lathe with removable jaws but it doesn’t have any marking on it to indicate make/model.

I‘d like to buy some different size jaws for it but wonder if these are standardised at all in terms of fitting.

I imagine this is probably wishful thinking on my part.

Any views or help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Phill

Good Morning,

I have a four jaw chuck for my lathe with removable jaws but it doesn’t have any marking on it to indicate make/model.

I‘d like to buy some different size jaws for it but wonder if these are standardised at all in terms of fitting.

I imagine this is probably wishful thinking on my part.

Any views or help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Phill
Do you have any photographs of the chuck? To find the makers stamp on mine you have to remove the jaws because it's underneath them.

Some jaws/manufacturers are interchangeable but they are by no means universal.

As above, look for stamps/logos all over including under the jaws and on the chuck key. If you can post picture of chuck with and without jaws fitted and maybe the chuck key (they vary and might give a clue) there is a good chance that someone on here will recognise it.

Thank you for your replies. Here are some photos I’ve just taken. The jaw screw holes are 18mm apart (centres) and the locating ring on the jaws is 5.25mm wide. 6F78AAB7-3503-4152-B52B-56BBA6AD087B.jpegBBAF1BAE-CC5B-4A6E-9810-0F124CF0DA48.jpegEAB29A7D-922B-46F5-93D9-DCB9F94E1E83.jpeg9EDE1F20-FC91-4FE4-9EAA-061E51C79CF1.jpeg2811B962-B886-4EE0-B739-A016550A33E2.jpeg9281B848-C1D4-455B-83D1-3DEE78CFD0D0.jpeg68AD285A-931B-457A-BD1F-B00247585343.jpeg

The 18mm measurement and the pictures suggest that they are from the Robert Sorby Patriot, Teknatool Nova/Supernova, Record Power SC4 family BUT the chuck does not look like any of the latest versions of those chucks.
Which way do you turn the key to close or open the jaws? If anti-clockwise to close the jaws, it may be a Nova - sorry I don't know whether they had a name on them.
You could try finding woodturners turners on Westray to compare chucks with them, or even contact Michael Sinclair near Harray on Mainland to see if he can help. He makes some lovely stuff: Orkney RPT woodturner Michael Sinclair, turning wooden bowls & plaques
Not sure that helps much!
Duncan

The 18mm measurement and the pictures suggest that they are from the Robert Sorby Patriot, Teknatool Nova/Supernova, Record Power SC4 family BUT the chuck does not look like any of the latest versions of those chucks.
Which way do you turn the key to close or open the jaws? If anti-clockwise to close the jaws, it may be a Nova - sorry I don't know whether they had a name on them.
You could try finding woodturners turners on Westray to compare chucks with them, or even contact Michael Sinclair near Harray on Mainland to see if he can help. He makes some lovely stuff: Orkney RPT woodturner Michael Sinclair, turning wooden bowls & plaques
Not sure that helps much!
Duncan
That’s an idea. I know Michael personally so I’ll maybe pop round next time I‘m over on Orkney Mainland with my chuck, or maybe just one of the jaws, for comparison.

Thsi afternoon I got out into the workshop/garage to have a look at my chuck and jaws.

No idea about the chuck, sorry. One thing I did notice, my chuck key has the manufactureres name set in the cast T handle.

The jaws looked very similar to mine, Record SC3/4 type, not identical but looks close enough to be a fit. I checked the dimensions against yours and they match. I also thought to measure the diameter of the rebate, jaws off, chuck wound fully closed, diameter across rebate - outside edge to outside edge - is 52.6mm. If yours matches that it should mean the radius/curvature of the rebate is the same as well as the fixing holes and the rebate width so a very good chance record power or compatibles will fit.

All the manufacturers say you must use their jaws with their chucks, might be a liability thing. Hard if you don't know what your chuck is.

Some notes on record power if they do fit.. SC3 and SC4 use the same jaws, SC1 and SC2 are mini chucks and differ. Some jaws only have one fixing hole per jaw, when you think of it it has to be like that for ones that are smaller. The relevant part of their website is below. If you click on any jaw - I suggest the standard 50 - and see the tabs below, downloads will let you get a full pdf list of all their jaws. We all have different needs/wants. I own the 50 that came with the chuck originally, the 35 because I was doing a fair few small bowls, the 9mm pin jaws (pin, not pen) which is good for all sorts of things and recently the smaller set of coles/button jaws which was a gift and replaced a home made equivalent. I use them all from time to time and between them there are no real 'gaps' in coverage. Everyone will have their own needs.

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/chucking-systems-jaws--spares
Although it looks like a strong match, it might be rash to go out and spend money until you are really sure its the right thing. Good luck.

( a post script, is the indexing plate on the back of your chuck an optional add on, and might taking it off reveal a manufacturers name underneath?)

Thsi afternoon I got out into the workshop/garage to have a look at my chuck and jaws.

No idea about the chuck, sorry. One thing I did notice, my chuck key has the manufactureres name set in the cast T handle.

The jaws looked very similar to mine, Record SC3/4 type, not identical but looks close enough to be a fit. I checked the dimensions against yours and they match. I also thought to measure the diameter of the rebate, jaws off, chuck wound fully closed, diameter across rebate - outside edge to outside edge - is 52.6mm. If yours matches that it should mean the radius/curvature of the rebate is the same as well as the fixing holes and the rebate width so a very good chance record power or compatibles will fit.

All the manufacturers say you must use their jaws with their chucks, might be a liability thing. Hard if you don't know what your chuck is.

Some notes on record power if they do fit.. SC3 and SC4 use the same jaws, SC1 and SC2 are mini chucks and differ. Some jaws only have one fixing hole per jaw, when you think of it it has to be like that for ones that are smaller. The relevant part of their website is below. If you click on any jaw - I suggest the standard 50 - and see the tabs below, downloads will let you get a full pdf list of all their jaws. We all have different needs/wants. I own the 50 that came with the chuck originally, the 35 because I was doing a fair few small bowls, the 9mm pin jaws (pin, not pen) which is good for all sorts of things and recently the smaller set of coles/button jaws which was a gift and replaced a home made equivalent. I use them all from time to time and between them there are no real 'gaps' in coverage. Everyone will have their own needs.

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/chucking-systems-jaws--spares
Although it looks like a strong match, it might be rash to go out and spend money until you are really sure its the right thing. Good luck.

( a post script, is the indexing plate on the back of your chuck an optional add on, and might taking it off reveal a manufacturers name underneath?)
Mine is a bit smaller. If if close the chuck jaws with the current working jaws in place the mounting spigots are clearly not round (too close). If I refit the working jaws, close them, and then remove them, the out side diameter of the mounting spigots is 43mm and the inside diameter is 32mm.

The outside diameter of the working jaws when mounted and close (for mortise) is 45.5mm.

The overall diameter of the chuck is 95mm

Sadly information I have got from the original owner casts doubt to compatibility. It turns out it is a cheap Chinese import! Hope still springs eternal though that it may be a “cheap copy” and still be compatible with one or other of the mainstream chucks.

Your chuck looks to be one that is sold under various brand names, Charnwood W836, Charnwood Viper3, Craft Supplies CS400, Fox FX4000, Record RP4000, Rutlands Dakota XT700, Vicmark VM100 (Requires V3JS jaw screw set), Warco 9405
- Woodturning Chucks - Some info for those new to the hobby

The jaws on all the above are reported to be interchangeable.

Chuck Jaw Fittings 1.jpg

Axminster, Record SC3 & Record RP4000 (or similar) chucks with jaws showing that the Axminster has a tongue on the jaw carrier & slot on the jaw whilst the Records have a slot in the jaw carriers & mating tongues on the jaws.

Back