Chuck jaw carrier thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was the fact that the images were of Die NUTs which are generally used to repair damaged threads rather than manufacture from new so it is unusual to see them 'split' and fitted with what I imagine is a tapered grub-screw to make them adjustable. That is a very complex method and typical of 'Snap-On' to find a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

All those that i posted of the snap on are for cutting threads I do have some of snap on thread repair nots which are as you said are different. It may be a design that you may not have seen before.

I can tell you that the treads in Versachuck jaw carriers are in fact M5x1
If that really is the case -- and I have no reason to doubt you Phil -- it is an appalling 'protectionism' ploy by Versachuck to charge an extortionate price for replacements.

It is also incorrect to use the term M5 when it is not the 'standard' dia/pitch combination it should always be specified as 5mm Ø x 1mm pitch.

Tripped up by a technicality of which I was unaware - thank you for the correction J-G.

I stand corrected. The thread is 5mm Ø x 1mm, not M5x1 at all. However, at at under £2 for replacements, I hardly think it's part of some dastardly master plan for early retirement, especial given that a full set of screws is supplied with all Versachuck jaws in the first place.

Phil,

As a versa chuck user I am pleased and relieved someone has taken up the baton.
There are many of us here (I think) , could you ( if the mods approve) give us a brief rundown of your plans regarding this chuck and the accessories

Tripped up by a technicality of which I was unaware - thank you for the correction J-G.

I stand corrected. The thread is 5mm Ø x 1mm, not M5x1 at all. However, at at under £2 for replacements, I hardly think it's part of some dastardly master plan for early retirement, especial given that a full set of screws is supplied with all Versachuck jaws in the first place.

I had better go and double check my measurements Phil:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can tell you that the treads in Versachuck jaw carriers are in fact M5x1

Strange, the Axminster Jaw compatible carriers I have for my Versa Chuck take standard 5mm X 0.8mm pitch socket head screws to full depth, if the threaded sockets were 1 mm pitch the 5mm screws I have would hardly get past 2-3 threads.

And yes, I have checked with thread gauges, taps and dies.

Perhaps carriers for jaws of a differing standard have different fixing screws to suit the original manufacturers standards.

Strange, the Axminster Jaw compatible carriers I have for my Versa Chuck take standard 5mm X 0.8mm pitch socket head screws to full depth, if the threaded sockets were 1 mm pitch the 5mm screws I have would hardly get past 2-3 threads.

And yes, I have checked with thread gauges, taps and dies.

Perhaps carriers for jaws of a differing standard have different fixing screws to suit the original manufacturers standards.
There is an overwhelming pattern emerging from folks here that M5 is indeed the right answer. We're still finding our feet with Versachuck products, and amongst the items that are still to arrive from the factory are versa/axi jaw slides.

So... instead of relying on my notes and my memory, let me go and break in to a jaw set so I can get up close and personal to the screws, and I will get back to you on this with an unequivocal answer. If that means that I get egg on my face, (which is seeming increasingly more likely) then so be it, but at least we will then all know for sure. Watch this space.

Phil,

As a versa chuck user I am pleased and relieved someone has taken up the baton.
There are many of us here (I think) , could you ( if the mods approve) give us a brief rundown of your plans regarding this chuck and the accessories
I've already cleared this with @Angie, so I'll do exactly that, and post a new thread (pun not intended) when I get a moment, to let all the Versachuck owners here know what's going on.

You're welcome Phil - Threads of all kinds were my whole life for about 10 years, and I'm a pedant :)
The point is one of Brevity - by using the [M] prefix you don't need to specify the pitch, it is 'standard' - just like using (say) ¼" BSW or ½" UNC - but you will see American Thread Tables where they quote M5 x 0.8 etc. rather than just M5 but they find it difficult to learn and still don't really like the Metric system 🤷‍♂️

Phil Dart said:
I don't know the length of these screws but suspect that they will be under 20mm long and be Cap Head High Tensile so at under £2 - I presume for 8 - I would be even more surprised if they were 1mm pitch.

A pack of 10 M5 x 20mm H/T Cap Head from Kay's Fasteners is £1.85 delivered.

OK. Time to fall on my sword.

Here it is, straight from the horses mouth, checked, double checked and triple checked (with abject apologies for the forgoing misleading information.)

It is M5, and those of you who said as much can enjoy the bragging rights, whilst I wipe the egg off my face.

That is to say, (to cover my backside, and also to be as transparent as possible to everyone's interpretation on thread specification and nomenclature) the diameter is 5mm and the pitch is 0.8mm

(the thread length is 10mm)

Yay! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OK. Time to fall on my sword.

Here it is, straight from the horses mouth, checked, double checked and triple checked (with abject apologies for the forgoing misleading information.)

It is M5, and those of you who said as much can enjoy the bragging rights, whilst I wipe the egg off my face.

That is to say, (to cover my backside, and also to be as transparent as possible to everyone's interpretation on thread specification and nomenclature) the diameter is 5mm and the pitch is 0.8mm

(the thread length is 10mm)

Yay! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Phew I thought I was going to have to dig out the gauges and dies Phil after I put them all away again. I will be glad when I get a larger workshop so everything is easy to get to :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back