Chuck for small lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westaur

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to wood turning and have just purchased an Axminster craft lathe. I am looking at buying a chuck and wondered if there are any recommendations. I have been looking at Record, Charnwood Viper, Nova G3. All have starter kits around the same price but different bits in each.
Thanks

westaur":130p2ohz said:
Hi everyone. I am new to wood turning and have just purchased an Axminster craft lathe. ...

I would stick with Axminster for the shear choice of accessory jaws available
If it's a smaller lathe then the SK100 or the smaller SK80.

Benefit of the 100 is that it will take all the 100mm and 80 mm accessory jaws giving a wider range if necessary.

I have just brought a Versa 3 chuck it does take a number of different manufacturers jaws including Axminster it does, however, mean buying jaw carriers which is not a bad thing as it means changing from one set of jaws to another is very easy.
Having said that it is a rather heavy chuck so may not be suitable for smaller lathes
Another advantage is that if you change lathes with a different thread, backplates are available to suit many of them.

I would second the Axminster SK100 and it's a perfect match for the Hobby/Craft lathes. The range of Axminster jaws is very wide. As stated the SK100 fits both the 100mm and 80mm accessory jaws. The SK114 (which I also have) works with the 100mm accessory jaws as well as 114mm accessories too. When I bought my chuck it was recommended to go for the slightly bigger SK100 and it has not proved too big. I've used it for bowls 5" up to 12". It's very good and being made of stainless steel there is no worries about it rusting. Compared to the SK114 it's 850g lighter and weighs in at about 1.7Kg.

You have not said which spindle thread you need. If it's 1" x 8 - which is popular with the Craft range then I have one for sale. It's 1 year 4 months old and comes with a 5 year Axminster warranty. PM if you are interested. I just noticed that you also live in Southampton area too and you are welcome to give it a spin etc. :D

Simon_M":1xkod6k7 said:
I would second the Axminster SK100 and it's a perfect match for the Hobby/Craft lathes. The range of Axminster jaws is very wide. As stated the SK100 fits both the 100mm and 80mm accessory jaws. The SK114 (which I also have) works with the 100mm accessory jaws as well as 114mm accessories too. When I bought my chuck it was recommended to go for the slightly bigger SK100 and it has not proved too big. I've used it for bowls 5" up to 12". It's very good and being made of stainless steel there is no worries about it rusting. Compared to the SK114 it's 850g lighter and weighs in at about 1.7Kg.

You have not said which spindle thread you need. If it's 1" x 8 - which is popular with the Craft range then I have one for sale. It's 1 year 4 months old and comes with a 5 year Axminster warranty. PM if you are interested. I just noticed that you also live in Southampton area too and you are welcome to give it a spin etc. :D

Hi Simon. Yes it is 1" x8 on a AC305WL. Axminster did recommend the SK100 but the starter kit was not what I could afford at the time. I would be interested in seeing what you have. Can't work out how to PM. Thanks
Quick Reply

Well this thread is serendipitous - that record chuck is exactly what I’m after! And I was about to shell out on the Axminster...

Having said that, if anyone has a 3/4” 16tpi chuck they could sell me please let me know.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

El Barto":1x60kjhb said:
Well this thread is serendipitous - that record chuck is exactly what I’m after! And I was about to shell out on the Axminster...

Having said that, if anyone has a 3/4” 16tpi chuck they could sell me please let me know.

Sorry for the thread hijack...

Maybe not the type of chuck you are after but I have this one HERE

Latest posts

Back