chuck for pen blanks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
What's the best type of chuck for holding square or slightly rectangular pen blank type size of wood?

It would be for drilling pen blanks and also work holding for turning some small stuff where you'd just have 1-2" sticking out the chuck.

I have the Axminster clubman 100.

Thanks

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong then. I have the O'Donnell jaws and when I tried turning with just a bit of pen blank sticking out it flew out of the chuck. I assumed it was because it wasn't gripping properly on a square blank...

I think your best bet would be the Spigot Jaws.
810067_l.jpg

Not their intended roll but will certainly provide a long reference internal surface for holding a rectangular blank in line.
I use mine at times to do just that for light load turning.

Jen, if you have a drill press all you need is this expensive bit of kit

Penjig3.jpg

Some scrap wood. A piece of plastic, an old credit card will do and a few wood screws. If the blank is smaller than the hole just put a sliver of wood in to pack it out. If it's slightly too big just chuck it in and it will still stand verticle.

The way I have found drilling blanks is that I always cut them into the tops and bottoms before drilling. I have only ever done 2 part jobbies. I always drill from the middle and make sure that is an acurate center. If the drill does wander it doesn't matter as long as there is anough 'meat' at the outer end, the grain will mate up in the center of the pen/pencil.

When I have drilled on my lathe I have always used my O'Donnel jaws with the smallest set in place. The blank fits easily and the corners sit securely in the gaps between the jaw sections. But it's a real fag having to fit the blank and tighten up the chuck, move the tailstock into position and lock it, with the drill into the blank, stop, undo, remove, wind the tailstock back, fit the next, tighten, start the lathe, pull the tailstock back to the start, wind the tailstock to drill the next hole, etc.. By that time I can have drilled 1/2 dozen pairs without stopping the drill press.

If you would like to see my equally expensive jig for cutting the blanks to lenghts then I would be pleased to post it again. Along with the jig i use for doing Celtic knots on pens..

Thanks John. Trouble is I don't have a proper drill press. Just a mini mill that doesn't take over 6mm drill bits so I have to do it on the lathe.

I tend to make pens as gifts so there's not that many. It was the duel purpose of being able to turn a blank without doing it between centres that I was also keen on.

I have had your photos for the Celtic knot and other jig before. Thanks again

That's a shame Jen, but with your O'donnel jaws just make sure that the corners are in the jaw gaps and spin it to see if it's square. If not then sto the lathe, find the 'high spot' of the blank by turning by hand and tap it with a gouge handle, try for center and repaet until it's centered. Not particularly scientific, but it works. Then clamp the chuck up tight.

If the blank isn't totally square, just make sure the corners are parallel and do the same as above. Once again, if you start drilling from the center end then it doesn't matter if the hole isn't direct center, the bit that matters will be and the angle will be so slight you ain't going to see it anyway. If it's a single piece pen and the hole isn't quite straight then who will know apart from you. The pen will still look great!!

Have fun :mrgreen: My bed time now so sleep tight!

Thanks John. I probably didn't put the corners of the blank in the gaps of the O'Donnell jaws so I'll try that next time.

Jensmith, I have an axminster k100 and I use the spigot jaws CHJ recomends , they work fine, but I find it can be pretty difficult to get the blank centred in jaws sometimes

Cheers
John

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Back