Chuck for New Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev2012

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Am new to turning and recently got a Jet 1442 lathe and i'm considering purchasing a Oneway chuck, either Talon or Stronghold.

From what i have seen online it seems for turning on lathes with less than 16" swing over the bed, the Talon is ideal and for greater the Stronghod is best but then others have said if you can get the sstronghold go for that as it is better so i'm unsure what is best.

Would the stronghold be ok on the 1442 lathe? woudl the weight be a issue or would it cause any problems for the motor i.e bearings wearing etc ? I dont want to damage the motor/lathe by putting somethign on that it isn't meant for but at the sme time i dont want to buy the cheaper one only to find i shoudl have got the better one to avoid having to buy them both.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply so whcih is better stronghold or the axminster one?

Any specific advantages/disadvantages of these?

Thanks

Go for the one which has the most accessory jaw options, you may only ever need a couple but buying a chuck that has a greater amount of jaw options is future proof. Made in UK has its advantages as well.

No chuck you can fit to that lathe is going to be of a significant load compared with an out of balance lump of wood you may hang on it.

Hi Kevin

I had a 1442 for about 6 years before getting my Wadkin last year. The Jet isn't a light weight lathe, ok it's not the biggest in the range but still a good machine that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. It is perfectly capable of taking any chuck that's out there, the wood you put on that... :wink:

I saw the new Axminster chuck at the weekend and it looks like a nice piece of kit. Much more compact than the old one but just as well built. Like the lathe, I wouldn't have any second thoughts about recommending it to anyone.

HTH

Richard

As the others have said go for the Axminster. The stronghold is a good chuck but IMHO is let down by the cog type key. I've managed to break these in the past. The square key with the Axminster is far superior. Had mine over 15 years and still going strong.

There is also the new spindle locking facility on the new Axminster Evolution to consider.

Go for the new Axminster evolution ,from what I have heard from a very prominent turner and teacher they are as good as any of the chucks he has been using and he has 8 lathes and outs hugh stress on lathe and chucks.

Hi,

Thanks all, I'll take a look at the Axminster chuck for sure, it looks good from what i can see on the website and from what i've found online of peopel saying they are good.

Hopefully they can meet the demand for it :)

Might have to try and line this up for a christmas present :0 probably end up buying myself it for Christmas.

Kevin

Hi all,

Been looking at chucks still And saw the Robert sorby patriot chuck. Would that be better than the stronghold and new axminster chuck due in September?

Thanks

I have the Patriot chuck, it works for me. But looking at all the different chucks out there it would be my guess that pretty much any chuck you buy will do the job unless you intend to turn really big bowls, like 18" plus.

Axminster chucks can use the O'Donnell Jaws sets, I have seen quite a few posts extolling the virtues of these and they do indeed look useful, another option worth considering if you feel that having a variety of interchangeable accessories is a must, take a look at Toolposts Versachuck, as far as I am aware it is unique in that you can buy different Jaw carrier set for it allowing you to mount virtually any of the major brand Jaws, interchangeability to the max! (Ring Toolpost to ask about the versachuck, I am not sure it is listed as available on the website)

Sorby Chuck Jaws are interchangeable with the Nova series of chucks, but apart from one Jaws set they are pretty much identical, the only real variation out there that looks worth having extra to the standard jaws is the aforementioned O'Donnell set.

hi, thanks for your reply.

I will definately take a look at the Versa chuck, sounds interesting, thanks.

Would the O'Donnell set fit on the sorby or only the on the axminster or versachuck? A quick look on axminster site shows 2 lots of o#donnell jaws - spigott and 80mm jaws.

Thanks

It will not fit the Sorby, I wish it did! The versachuck is definitely available now though, I saw today that Toolposts website has been updated, as in fact has the chuck by all accounts See it here

Hi,

Thanks all, wow lots to consider.

Vesachuck - coudl be good to use various jaws with.
Patriot chuck looks nice
new axminster looks good also.....

I think i may wait till November, see what the Axminster chuck is liek when it comes out, take a drive down to nearest store and look at it and weigh it up....

Stronghold chuck still look quiet nice also...... but maybe overkill. I do like there sure grip handles though, i used one and i do like the weight of it etc.. really helps the tool from bouncing aroudn and feels solid and firm and seems to make the cutting much easier although mayeb thats just me being new to this.

Seen the monthly competitioons on here, woudl eb great to enter some of these one day but i fear it may take me quiet some time to be able to produce anything that resembles what it is meant to resemble, so far more of it is fire wood lol. Main problem is, my job isn't related to woodturning or anyhtign like this so I only get weekends to do anythign nd thats subject to not having anything else to do so in variable end up with gaps inbetween, then ofcourse if winter sets in and gets cold, don't tend to go up shed and do it then as its freezing so will see what happens, i've love to be able to turn peices like the ones i've seen on here, someof them look amazing. Especially when you see what the peice of wood started off like and then what it was transformed into. I wish i'd got the imagination to do that, i tend to have to look for things online in termsof design and then try and copy... probably not the best way, at the moment i'm fidnign it difficultto do the beads and coves... they just don't work out.... plus beofre i was doign some pens and i find that the thickness of the wood at one end is different to the other end, i'm sure i'm not applying any pressure one end or the other on the pass but clearly must be some how. I'm re-arranging shed atm so once its done, i'm hoping it will be better as beofre one sode of it was close upto the side of the shed so i foudn when i was moving over to the left, there wasn't always enough room to move full to the endof the wood with my body cos of being stuf against the shed wall so not idea, now it is moved out more I have room past the left side to move way past so i'm hoping this wil help.

I did have a coupel of days tuition but that was aroudn a year ago and sadly i've not been able to set aside sufficient time to actually start doing it regularly etc so i tend to end up gogin back to it and thinking right how do i hodl the tool for this etc.. eventually it comes back to me but no doubt i'm doing something slightly wrong.

At present, i started doign a bowl, the problem i have is i've done the back of the bowl but right up on the end of the bown i caught it with the tool so there is a nasty dent in it and when i try and turn it out the tool just bounces quiet hard so i've left it for now as i don't want to ruin it untill i think of a way roudn it.

Anyway thansk for your input on this, i'll let you all knwo what i opt for in the future.

Latest posts

Back