Chuck comparisons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
i have a Record Power SC4 scroll chuck, and want to buy a second chuck. I have considered two; another SC4 , or an Axminster SK 114. There is a massive difference in price between these. The Record is bare, I.e. has no jaws, and would cost £99, plus £15 for a thread adapter, plus postage, about £130 in total. The Axminster SK114 costs £245, including 50mm jaws, a screw chuck, and a face plate .It is possible to buy the chuck on its own, and this is priced at £210.
In addition, the different jaws available for the chucks are similarly wide apart in price.
Does anyone have experience of the Axminster that suggests it is worth the extra money?

Having been to the Axminster factory, and having seen their chucks being manufactured, I would be confident in saying that they are a superior product. They are machined out of solid billets of stainless steel to very tight tolerances. Plus, they are made in England which might mean something to those in a patriotic frame of mind.

However, the jaws are not interchangeable between RP and Axminster chucks, so it would make more sense to stick with RP if that's what you have already. A couple of mates have RP chucks and they work fine. I suppose it boils down to your budget and how fixated you are about having the best kit. (Someone will be along shortly to argue that Axminster chucks aren't the best kit :LOL:)

Woodturning chucks, 2018 but still relevant
- Woodturning Chucks - Some info for those new to the hobby

Not sure where you are getting your prices but Yandles show several deals on Record chucks
- Woodturning Chucks - Tools & Machines - Yandle & Sons Ltd

I have both Axminster & Record chucks. There's not a lot to choose between them. However one set of carriers for the Axminster were very tight. Axminster's response was to tell me to file them down.

My favourite chuck is the old Rutland's multi-name clone. The hex chuck key is so much quicker & easier to use.

I have an SC3 and an Axminster SK 114 - the SK114 is a pleasure to use (smooth and easy adjusting, and can hold large pieces of wood with the right jaws), the SC3 is functional but feels relatively crude to adjust. I've not used an SC4 tho.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your replies and advice.
Robbo, i’ve checked out the offers at Yandles, and it seems their price for a ‘bare’ SC4 is about the same as RP’s, but the package deal is better. I may pursue that one. Phil, do the Versachuck/ Axminster carriers fit the SC4 ok, and allow for a variety of jaw brands to be used?
Thanks again to everyone for taking the trouble to reply.
D

No, they won't fit the SC4 but if you buy a Versachuck and Nova/Patriot carriers you can use your Record jaws on the Versachuck - I use Record pen jaws on mine, all my other jaws being Axi or Versachuck on Versachuck carriers. The downside being they are out of stock of V/A carriers atm. The main reason I bought the Versachuck was I had bought a job lot of Axi jaws cheaply.:)

Back