Chuck and Jaws Choice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weasel Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm buying my first lathe. I used one quite a bit at uni to turn mostly bowls from 3" right upto 19". I want a lathe and chuck setup that lets me turn fairly large bowls but also have a go at small boxes and fun fiddly things. Also im on a budget :(

The lathe is going to be (i think) the AWVSL1000 and the chuck will probably be the axminster Super precision chuck as this is what has been suggested (although i like the look of the patriot for some reason).

So:

Is the the chuck a good choice for the work i want to do?

and most importantly:

What Jaws Sould I Get?

I want to do a range of sized work, small bowls, big bowls, boxes, vases... what jaws are complusory for me to get going?

Thanks Muchly

I am not sure about the super precision these days, they used to be made by Axminster but I think they are all Chinese made now and I have heard a couple of bad reports about them, might be worth checking with Axminster.

The 2 chucks I would recommend are the K10 http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... (body-only)-prod800680/ or if you want a bit more size the Goliath http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... (body-only)-prod800691/

Regardless of which of there chucks you go for I would recommend the O'Donnell jaw set http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod804392/ I use these for 95% of all my work. I have turned miniatures with them and bowls up to about 14".

Is that Peterborough I see in your location if so I can recomend a good club etc.

john

Hi Weasel Howlett

Please dont buy a chuck on looks

stick with the axminster Super precision chuck

The standard jaws will be fine for most use including bowls , then its best to get a spare set of jaw carriers and a set of cole jaws like this

IMG_1073.JPG

Then you can turn off the foot / Dovetail / spigot and end up with a base as shown

Extra Jaws are then on a " I need this set basis "

hope it all goes well for you

Attachments

• IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 905
Is the clubman cheaper simply because its not as strong/slightly inferior to the super precision?

What exactly are the standard jaws? it seems to come as just a body as standard.

From what I can see with the K10 you have to order the thread size for your lathe ( Not a back plate with a thread in it ) so you are stuck with it if you ever want to change lathe
If the new lathe is a different spindle size the chuck wont fit

However , with a Super precision you order a body and a threaded back late with the spindle size for your current lathe , Later if you change lathes you just buy a new back plate with the spindle size of your new lathe and away you go , you can use the chuck you already have

Just look at the size difference on Axminster site and the difference is clear to see , K10 medium weight / use , the SP heavy duty heavy use :mrgreen:

standard Jaws look like these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ty ... prod21941/

the SP chucks are very good and very strong :mrgreen:

2 reviews of this chuck

By Richard Young on 4th January 2011
This is a very well engineered chuck, I was pleasantly shocked by the quality. Coupled with the 3 way O'Donnell jaw set, and a set of large Gripper jaws, this is an awesome bit of holding kit. I hope to add to my jaw collection.
Precision Chuck
By Mr Keith Thom on 14th May 2010
A large chunk of cash, yes - but spend it now and buy one of the finest holding systems available. Open up your horizons and treat yourself. Then get family to buy more jaws. Axminster precision engineering and design at a good price. Even one set of jaws will open up new turning ideas. Get one.

I like them lots and have several :wink:

Just to confuse you even more, I'm going to recommend the Talon scroll chuck from Oneway. I bought mine,complete with a set of jaws & a thread adaptor, from Les Thorne at a show a couple of years ago. Well made piece of engineering.
Take your time before deciding which one would be best for you. Scroll chucks are quite expensive, but once you have got one I doubt you'll regret it.

Dave

Back