Chuck.. Again....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TA09

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi again

Sorry for my nagging about chucks, but I have no one to ask. Would Vicmarc VM120 be to big for lathe, Myford ml8? Reason I ask is because they make these pipe making jaws. But if it is I will need to make my own. Had a look on on Axminster evolution sk114 chuck, but out of stock.. Also had a look at Versachuck and seems like a decent chuck, but since my currency, Norwegian Krone, is so low compared to the pound +Vat and shipping....I have been thinking a long time since my last post, but I cant make up my mind. I will not buy Record Power, Nova because it is made in China and I am beginning to have enough of that country... Also there is the Sorby Patriot chuck. I really like the look on the Versachuck, but how does it compare to like Vicmarc, Sorby Patriot, Axminster evolution?
Photo is of the Vicmarc pipe jaws. They only fit the 120
7cb3cedb0cbc52e8b47901357b660556.jpg

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

How do you turn a pipe? What are the jaws gripping and what shape is it?

I like vicmarc, and the jaws seem very well designed in general (no idea on these) but the vast majority of pipe turner's must have found an alternative method or else the other manufacturers would produce something similar.

Contrast with pen jaws. There are other methods, but pen turners find them sufficiently useful that half a dozen manufacturers have a version. It may just be that there are more pens turned than pipes of course.

I’d be surprised if any of the chucks you mention don’t have parts (if not all of the chuck) manufactured in China even if those parts are assembled in another country.

Doug B":1ne4d6s4 said:
I’d be surprised if any of the chucks you mention don’t have parts (if not all of the chuck) manufactured in China even if those parts are assembled in another country.

If that is correct, stamps like Made in Britain is not worth much is it? If parts are made elsewhere and just put together in the UK?

Like this Macros. Some use just metal lathes and some both. Alot of people make their own, but these looked very nice. I guess I could make my own version of it. Can not be that difficult..
Probably right about there are alot more pen makers than pipe makers out there hehehe
I know I am picky and overthink it too much, it is just that I rather buy right and be happy about it even if it cost more money. But it is not always that easy...

f6951c01f3a33c1d766db2be2650ae92.jpg

I can't offer much help, it looks like an unusual way of holding items of an unusual shape. I had to buy a new chuck a year ago, and looked at various criteria, although made in china and NOK:GBP weren't amongst them. I chose Vicmarc and have been very happy so far based on value for money (against the pound) and quality. I like the idea of making things, but also like to be able to buy a made solution that works, Vicky seems to have satisfied this..

That said, using logic, if some people use the ml8 to turn bowls on, your blanks are minimal in size and should be fairly balanced. the chuck may be slightly heavy, but it is balanced. My jet mini (capacity max 10 inch bowls, 0.5HP) manages a vm100 chuck. I would expect that it would cope with the 120.

at least the chuck takes an insert so if you do change in the future, you can use the same chuck. This is a cost advantage (potentially large cost advantage), but also a familiarity advantage. I wouldn't consider a chuck that you cannot change the insert or the backplate, and that you can convert to m33 x 3.5. if you can do that, then you are fairly future proof.

TA09":2mq65urd said:
Doug B":2mq65urd said:

If that is correct, stamps like Made in Britain is not worth much is it? If parts are made elsewhere and just put together in the UK?

I completely agree, but it’s the way it is.
In my experience the proof comes when you have problems with equipment & you get quoted 16 to 20 weeks for spares, clearly these spares are not being manufactured in the UK even though the equipment states made in Britain.

Being in Norway, do you need to pay U.K. vat?
I thought one reason toolpost (who sell the versa chuck) listed vat separate was that they had a thriving export market.

Costs aside the versa chuck is excellent, I have had one for over ten years and have added various jaws over that time. Throughly recommend it to anyone who needs a decent chuck

Doug B":mq7b6dcs said:
In my experience the proof comes when you have problems with equipment & you get quoted 16 to 20 weeks for spares, clearly these spares are not being manufactured in the UK even though the equipment states made in Britain.

Or maybe they only have them made three or four times a year?

lurker":33t7v677 said:
Being in Norway, do you need to pay U.K. vat?
I thought one reason toolpost (who sell the versa chuck) listed vat separate was that they had a thriving export market.

Costs aside the versa chuck is excellent, I have had one for over ten years and have added various jaws over that time. Throughly recommend it to anyone who needs a decent chuck
No I do not need to pay UK Vat, but Norwegian. And the currency has collapsed because of the virus... Anyway sounds like you are a fan of the Versachuck :)

Just interested, is Norwegian vat more than 20%
Also I had assumed that GB£ has collapsed in much the same way.

Yes I am a fan.
I think there are a few of us here.
I was lucky in that I frequently worked quite close to toolpost and thus avoided delivery charges, but on the other hand, spent more in the shop. :D

Hehehe. A pound now is 13 krone and before it was 10-11krone. Sounds little, but it adds up quickly. And Vat here is 25%. Also there is 30 quid in shipping. But sounds the Versachuck is maybe worth it!

Well I found a Axminster Evolution sk114 chuck on a norwegian store. I orded it. It was a 1x8 thread, but found a adapter from the US. Thanks guys! :)

Back