Chuck advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopCat 32

Established Member
Reaction score
its new lathe time shortly, and i will be having the problem many before me have had, my present SK100 Axminster chuck will not fit new lathe, i have spoken to axminster and they are advising not to use a adaptor (if i could find 1) but to sell chuck and purchase a new one with correct thread, i have only got a couple of sets of jaws for this chuck, so my thinking is , do i stick with axminster (probably the evolution chuck) but this is very expensive, or go to the record power SC4 package which comes with worm screw and face plate ect, and am i right in thinking theses come with a insert which can be changed if i change lathes again? the other option is the versa chuck from toolpost and backing plate and mounting jaws, works out as a good deal in my eyes, anyone have any pros and cons on any of these or have any other recommendations

cheers Tim

The Versachuck. You can buy Axi carriers for it which will allow you to use your Axminster jaws (and Versachuck ones), and if you ever trade up again you'll have to change only the backplate. I bought one a few weeks ago and it's brilliant. :D Also, if you are lucky enough to buy a job lot of other jaws (which I was - £160s worth, which was the reason for my choice :D ) you need only a £24 set of carriers to use them.

Thanks Phil, that was my thinking, so no issues with the versa chuck, build quality good and accurate ?

It might not be totally logical but I have ended up with a mix of chuck types. I started off with Record Power chucks and bought 2 so I could keep button jaws on one all the time. Excellent chucks and after 3 years of use still as good as new. Jaw options are great and cheaper to build up a collection compared to other makes. Compatible with cheaper Sorby copies too like Charnwood. And quite light in weight compared to some which might suit lighter powered lathes
I then picked up a couple of Axi clubmans 2nd hand and have bought a few jaws with carriers which fill the gaps in jaw sizes compared to the RP ones I’d got . I mostly use O’donnell jaws (which RP don't do) on those or the backplate ones which allow you to mount wooden faceplates. The ability to slide out the jaws on their carriers helps a lot with those particular jaw types
So
Personally unless you can get a good price for your current chuck I would first just get an adapter for your it (charnwood do most permutations for not much£ compared to Axi prices) and get some more use out of what you've got even if it is mainly used for slower speed or lighter weight turning with say button jaws on most of the time.

I prefer the speed of jaw changing with the carrier on the Axi or Versa (an excellent chuck too) but you do pay a lot more for that flexibility. If budget is key I’d say say stick to RP for a new chuck and build a new stock of jaws around that system alongside your current system

Cheers Malcolm, keeping my axi sk100 with a adaptor (axi dont do 1) to use on small jaws for lighter work, and getting a RP SC4 for bigger work was my 1st thought, but after talking to the guy at axminster he put me off going this way, hence asking about the versa chuck to use with existing axi jaws , and getting a SC4 to use with larger jaws which i would use about 70%of the time, i know i could get away with just 1 , but like you get fed up changing jaws,

thanks again Tim

Nice one. Check out Charnwood for the thread adapters. I got one for a eccentric chuck 3/4” to m33 and i think it was around £12

that's great, Malcolm, thanks, i really dont think using a adaptor, will be a drawback, like i said it will only be used for the smaller turnings, and maybe a versa chuck in the future will take my other axminster jaws and any other type i purchase in future all i will need is the mounting jaws

There is no easy solution.

An insert is very different to an exert. With the insert there is only a small increase in weight and shift away from the headstock bearings - so any unbalanced workpiece will behave the same. With the exert there is a need to adapt a smaller thread to a bigger thread and the whole thing is consequently very heavy and a big shift away from the headstock. The pictures are not to scale and the table of adapters don't tell the full story. Just because you can doesn't mean you will like it.

If Axminster don't stock the item, it's because it's going to cause more bad feelings than problems solved and of course a new chuck is always good business for them.

SC4 is a good idea as the base mounting is bigger than any insert and so an exert is never required. A second SC4 insert costs the same as an exert. Keeping existing jaws and accessories minimises the cost when shifting to M33. SC4 and SK100 have a different jaw mounting.

The SK114 is not appreciably bigger (or better) than the SK100 but it's much more expensive especially with grub screws for reversing which are standard on SK100 M33 version. If you think Axminster accessories are better (or give more options) than other manufacturers, then SK100 is a lower cost option. Even their long chuck keys are not compatible.

So what are the threads on your old lathe & on the new lathe?
I use an adaptor from M33 to 3/4"x16 to mount an original Axminster Woodturner's chuck (because I have various sets of jaws) & also a Jacobs chuck attached to a 3/4"x16 adaptor (saves having to use a draw bar).

Simon_M":2i4yzah4 said:
There is no easy solution.

An insert is very different to an exert. With the insert there is only a small increase in weight and shift away from the headstock bearings - so any unbalanced workpiece will behave the same. With the exert there is a need to adapt a smaller thread to a bigger thread and the whole thing is consequently very heavy and a big shift away from the headstock. The pictures are not to scale and the table of adapters don't tell the full story. Just because you can doesn't mean you will like it.

If Axminster don't stock the item, it's because it's going to cause more bad feelings than problems solved and of course a new chuck is always good business for them.

SC4 is a good idea as the base mounting is bigger than any insert and so an exert is never required. A second SC4 insert costs the same as an exert. Keeping existing jaws and accessories minimises the cost when shifting to M33. SC4 and SK100 have a different jaw mounting.

The SK114 is not appreciably bigger (or better) than the SK100 but it's much more expensive especially with grub screws for reversing which are standard on SK100 M33 version. If you think Axminster accessories are better (or give more options) than other manufacturers, then SK100 is a lower cost option. Even their long chuck keys are not compatible.

Cheers Simon, there would be easy solutions if money no object i suppose, but as on a budget was looking at the best option without breaking the bank, i understand where you are coming from re adaptors, and will take on board, i can see a bit of a problem with moving the weight further away from headstock, maybe best to sell and get a sc4 for bigger stuff and keep a eye out for a small 2nd hand chuck to take smaller jaws,

thanks again Tim

Robbo3":3qlekh1d said:
From TO4M - 1" x 8tpi to T38 - M33 x 3.5mm 8)

If it's Axminster 900 with SK100 to new Axminster with M33 thread (and either an exert or new chuck required).

I apologise (in advance) for wanting to spend your money Tim, but... if you sell the SK100 and advertise it on the forum and get back 2/3 of the value and replace it with the same chuck, your outlay will be about 2x-3x a chuck exert. Without needing the exert you will have "a happy life" and all the existing jaws, rings etc that you have will fit. Replacing any of them costs you money as well, so the extra 1x - 2x a chuck exert "costs" will be absorbed.

I have the SK114 but if I wanted a 2nd chuck I wouldn't hesitate to buy an SK100 again. I did exactly the same thing: upgraded an Axminster lathe to a new one and had the two chuck problem (I was happy to sell my TO4M - 1" x 8tpi to buy a T38 - M33 x 3.5mm to maintain compatibility).

My first Axminster lathe is currently for sale on the forum and a buyer would almost certainly want to almost immediately get a chuck like yours and might be grateful for the opportunity. They would also benefit from looking at the SC4 because they could "carry it over" to the next lathe upgrade with an insert, always assuming they were happy with the available RP accessory jaws vs the wider choice from Axminster (just my opinion).

I do have (and like) the SK114 but I don't think the premium price is justified and the SK100 is the same size (or slightly bigger) than the RP SC4. FWIW I looked at the accessories available for my first chuck before buying into that "system" which is probably an illogical way to look at it.

Robbo3":37xvu7oe said:
I use an adaptor from M33 to 3/4"x16 to mount an original Axminster Woodturner's chuck (because I have various sets of jaws) & also a Jacobs chuck attached to a 3/4"x16 adaptor (saves having to use a draw bar).
Hi Robbo thats a good idea with the Jacobs chuck where did you get the adaptor for them.

themackay":1uq5ywiv said:
Robbo3":1uq5ywiv said:
Hi Robbo thats a good idea with the Jacobs chuck where did you get the adaptor for them.
Mine was made for me by one of the woodturners in our club who is also an engineer.
Boffin53, who sells sphere turning jigs on Ebay, used also to sell various sizes of thread adaptor. Perhaps you could contact him. Most chucks are threaded 1/2" x 20 tpi or 3/8" x 24tpi
- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EASY-PRO-WOO ... SwiCRUcKin

@Tim. Get an adaptor so that you can use your old chuck on your new lathe.
That is the cheap solution & will give you time to save up & then decide if you need to change the chuck at a later date.

Back