Chuck Advice for Turning Novice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_Mc

Established Member
Reaction score
I did my last wood turning about 35 years ago at school but always fancied getting into it as a hobby and earlier today I bought a Jet 1221VS in Axminster's clearance sale. I intend to start off turning bowls up to 12" diameter and want to buy a chuck. I am currently considering the Evolution SK114 which gets great reviews but I was unsure if it would be overkill for this size of lathe and whether I should maybe go down to the SK100 or even SK80? My thinking was buy a large good quality chuck now which can be used on a larger lathe later if I decide to upgrade, the M33 x 3.5 mm spindle tread on the 1221VS being a common format on larger lathes also. I can then start building up a set of compatible jaws without worrying about future chuck changes. Is this sound logic and is the SK114 appropriate for the Jet 1221VS?

They also seem to do chuck variants with reverse locking. My lathe can run in reverse so is this a feature I should definitely look for in a chuck? Is reversing useful and what are the applications?

Rob,
I have three SK100 chucks with a variety of jaws and they have so far handled everything I have thrown at them from noses for snowmen to 14 inch diameter platters and large bowls. They have three grubscrews for locking which I have always relied on when in reverse mode which I mainly use when sanding but have also tried when using the Monro hollowing tool.
Can‘t fault them in my opinion.

Dave

I am very happy with my SK114, I also have a RP SC3 and the difference in quality is large.
The closed back helps and it is as smooth as butter. I should have got the SK114 first but you will find that having at least two chucks is very useful.
As is reverse, great for sanding and decorative work.

Last edited:
Is the SK114 over kill, absolutely. But, the lathe you have now will handle it no problem, and you’ll never regret the purchase when the pain of buying it diminishes. It will stand you in good stead for the future, so I would say if it’s within budget, go for it. I have three SK100, one SK125 Goliath, and a SK114 Evolution. The Evolution is head and shoulders above the other two as far as build quality.

Latest posts

Back