Chromecast and wi-fi security

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Chromecast to play with. Loaded Google Home on my Android phone (connected to my secure wi-fi network) and went through the SetUp routine for Chromecast. All working but to my surprise and not a little consternation realised that at no time did the SetUp for Chromecast ask me for my wi-fi password which was 'helpfully' supplied to it by my Android phone as a background activity.

That does sit a little uneasy with me TBH and wondered what others thought ?

The chromecast talks to the google home app via it's own secure wifi network when in setup mode to get the info it needs, once setup is complete it goes into a secure mode.

If you think about it, how would you enter the code? It would be with your phone, and since the phone is already connected to the chromecast why bother manually entering it when it can send it automatically.

I need another chromecast. Good bit of kit ! Unless random people have my person wifi password (mine is related to rodhull and a few numbers) then I'm not worried whatsoever lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rorschach":hrg6xe0d said:
The chromecast talks to the google home app via it's own secure wifi network when in setup mode to get the info it needs, once setup is complete it goes into a secure mode.

If you think about it, how would you enter the code? It would be with your phone, and since the phone is already connected to the chromecast why bother manually entering it when it can send it automatically.

Many thanks for that...I'm reassured. Curious about the 'own secure wifi network'. Is it piggy-backing on the Mobile Hotspot facility ?

I'm a bit confused by Chromecast - it doesn't seem to be able to stream on its own, so I don't see the point. However, regarding WiFi security, how close are your neighbours? I don't have any WiFi security at all - completely open network, because anyone trying to tap into my network would get eaten by dogs long before they got close enough to try to piggyback on my router. The poor thing struggles to get enough signal out to the veranda, let alone across the valley to the nearest neighbour.

(I say "eaten by dogs", but I actually mean licked to death by dogs - unless you arrive on a motorbike, in which case being eaten would be the least of your worries.)

Trainee neophyte":3dikwazc said:
I'm a bit confused by Chromecast - it doesn't seem to be able to stream on its own, so I don't see the point. ....

Say you wanted to watch something on YouTube or a film on a streaming service that was not easily accessible on your Smart TV (assuming you even had one!). But you can access it on your computer....you use Chromecast as a bridge between computer and TV letting you watch on your TV rather than all huddling around a tiny laptop screen.

Re wi-fi security. Ditto here. Just call me paranoid though !

RogerS":1677w7jv said:
...you use Chromecast as a bridge between computer and TV letting you watch on your TV rather than all huddling around a tiny laptop screen.

Which is the bit I don't get - if you have to buy a device, why not buy a device which can stream everything, seeing as they are the same price. Having to "cast" from your phone means you have to rely on your phone battery when watching TV - and if something stops working, which bit stopped working? I see it as an overly complex solution to a problem that doesn't exist. We currently use Amazon fire TV, both the stick and the box. They have their own idiosyncrasies, but I don't think we have been let down yet. The Roku box looks interesting, but I haven't had a need to buy one yet.

Having said that, you can never have too many fun toys to play with. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

RogerS":2fqxogae said:
Rorschach":2fqxogae said:

Many thanks for that...I'm reassured. Curious about the 'own secure wifi network'. Is it piggy-backing on the Mobile Hotspot facility ?

Essentially. Anything with a wifi chip can broadcast as well as receive so it is just using that to connect to your phone, once you confirm the device is correct on your phone then all the necessary data is transferred and the network is secured, this is why if you take the chromecast to another house for example you need to go through the setup process again.

Trainee neophyte":364ed6gq said:
RogerS":364ed6gq said:
...you use Chromecast as a bridge between computer and TV letting you watch on your TV rather than all huddling around a tiny laptop screen.

Which is the bit I don't get - if you have to buy a device, why not buy a device which can stream everything, seeing as they are the same price. Having to "cast" from your phone means you have to rely on your phone battery when watching TV - and if something stops working, which bit stopped working? I see it as an overly complex solution to a problem that doesn't exist. We currently use Amazon fire TV, both the stick and the box. They have their own idiosyncrasies, but I don't think we have been let down yet. The Roku box looks interesting, but I haven't had a need to buy one yet.

Having said that, you can never have too many fun toys to play with. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

They all their pros and cons and none of them are perfect. Other sticks don't let you mirror a desktop for instance or require logging in to use certain apps. Chromecast is the cheapest of the bunch and probably the easiest if you use android devices as it's one tap to send things to the TV.

Once something is cast from your phone / laptop etc. the connection is effectively handed over to the Chromecast device and is streamed directly to it without having to pass though your device although you still have control to pause, stop etc. So if the battery went or you wanted to do something else you could without affecting your streaming.

porker":13y748h0 said:
Once something is cast from your phone / laptop etc. the connection is effectively handed over to the Chromecast device and is streamed directly to it without having to pass though your device although you still have control to pause, stop etc. So if the battery went or you wanted to do something else you could without affecting your streaming.

I didn't know that - see what happens when you presume :)

That, and mirroring a desktop, and you have almost got me sold. My only problem now is that I just don't need one. At least, my lovely wife doesn't need one, which is the same thing, in our house. The good news is that she does think she needs (I need) a bandsaw. Wow!

Just to ay that the Chromecast is THE best bit of tech kit I've bought for a long time and a snip at £20 from Curry's. Listening and streaming music i the kitchen while prepping/cooking then move into where we're going to eat and 'cast the output to the TV in that room.

Brilliant.

As a slight digression, had cause to use Apple support chat regarding accessing my purchase history on iTunes. I'm pretty sure that I got a trainee muppet and that he/she was being monitored by a manager because his/her first suggestion was "Have you tried your internet connection. Is it OK ?' to which I politely pointed out that if it wasn't working then we wouldn't be chatting.

Next suggestion was to "Delete iTunes and re-install" to which I pointed out that that required a complete reinstall of the OS. At which point I was handed over to a manager :D

Back