Christopher Schwarz

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just finished reading 'The Anarchists Tool chest' which I have to say is an awesome book, and I would happily recommend it to anyone with a vague interest in using hand-tools over power.
So as I really enjoyed Schwarz's style of writing thought I'd get another to read, but looking I see there are 2 versions of his work bench book, which Is so highly talked about, does anyone know the difference between them or have any other recommendations for his writings?

Cheers.

~Nil carborundum illegitemi~

Agree about The Anarchist's Toolchest - excellent book. Very well thought through on the tool front, and whilst some of the Americanisms frankly went over my head, the basic philosophy did strike a chord.

I've not read his bench books, but for something a bit different, I found 'The Joiner and Cabinet Maker' a very good read. It's a reprint of a book from the mid 1800's about about a joiner's apprentice, with three simple projects that Schwarz makes himself and describes. That sounds a bit unpromising, but the book contains more social history and insight into the woodworking techniques and practices of the time than I've seen anywhere else.

His first book I haven't actually read, but as far as I know it only really looks in detail into two types of bench.

The other more recent one goes into less detail about history and looks more into the practical side and the variations of hand tool benches. This book has 10 designs for you to consider. This is the one I went for as it has an updated list of guidelines. And more examples of different benches each with a step by step of how it was constructed as well as a critique of its good and bad points. It also has a more updated look at bench workholding devices.

the first book is very good too. It only designs 2 benches but discusses various different options.

Back