Christmas Projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I don't have much cash to spend on the family for xmas this year and I would like to put some of my new skills into practice and make some wood-projects for use as christmas presents.

Anyone have any idea's on small easy to make and nice gifts?

cheers for that link Andy,

I'm looking for something that can be giving to adults really - and no one in my family play cards..

I was thinking of maybe small cabinets, gift boxes, something along those lines..

Nice pen-making link, that could be quite useful.

The ages of the people i'll be sending gifts to are mostly in their late 50's (parents etc..)

I can't get away with a cheap present for SHMBO but for the rest of the family something made would be a nice idea.

I'll make a note of the pen idea, I like that.. keep the idea's coming!!

:D one i made for my folks was a key cage my much much better half done a cross stich for the front and I made the case and frame with a catch now it hangs on the wll and they can find thier keys :D

Byron,
I reckon you cannot beat a nice box. They are always useful for something and the nice thing about making them is that they can be as simple or as complicated as you like and still look good. Great for using up scraps and bits of exotic wood or veneer. Usually an oil finish after sanding to 500 grit will provide a great, tactile finish on most woods.

Simple ones can be made in an hour or two, very complicated ones can take a year or two - just choose which Christmas!

I'm with you chris, boxes can be made to be an excellent present. I'm thinking of doing a box for my mother, just got to decide on what type.

Hi BB,

Although I've not seen it yet, I believe there is just such a box project in this months GW, written by Yours Truly. If it isn't, it should be in soon, as it is aimed at the Christmas market. You need a scroll saw, but bandsaw, sanders and drill press will make your life easier too.

Dead easy to knock up (look, Gill, you've got me at it now) in just a few hours.

11%20Finished%20boxes%20(WinCE).jpg

I've subsequently lined the walnut boxes with Suede-Tex. Looks good.
Cheers
Steve

I've thought of making a box for my father to hold his golf ball stock. Something that can sit on his desk and look fairly impressive and maybe a bit business-like. But then inside holds his cheeky stock of golf balls.

Steve

Good article. Re your comments about the free hand routing (which I agreed with).

How about this as an idea - it seemed to make sense that you could hotglue a piece of scrap/mdf to the original piece of timber so that you get a template the same shape as the box. break the template material away from the box, shape this template and then rehotglue it to the box using it as a guide for a bearing guided cutter.

Does that make sense? And if so would it be any cop?

Cheers

Tim

Steve Maskery":2pcmdqvw said:
You need a scroll saw

So true, Steve :lol: . Every woodworker needs a scrollsaw (IMHO)!

Using one of those you can quickly produce jigsaws, piggy banks (shaped like proper piggies) Christmas decorations, photo frames, toys... the only limit is your imagination.

Steve, does this mean I'm going to have to buy a copy of GWW? It'll be my first this year, but if it's going to start publishing interesting scrolled projects I might relent.

Gill

Gill":3tnygyms said:
Steve, does this mean I'm going to have to buy a copy of GWW?

Hey, come on, of course it does!! If I'm promoting scroll saws you have to buy GW. It's the law. Mwa.

Tim,
Interesting idea, and I don't see why it shouldn't work. But you would have to get to depth first (assuming you are using a shank-mounted bearing). Or perhaps you could use a bush, in which case you could get down gradually, but then you would have very thick walls (template + bush/cutter offset).

On balance I think the slice & scroll is altogether an easier and safer way, and I guarantee you can't see the join.

BTW, since that article I've finished the insides with Suede-Tex, which I saw at Stoneleigh. There was some discussion about "felt" lining a while ago. I've written a review for GW about it, so I'm hoping Nick will publish that soon too. When he does, I'll also post it in the Review section here. In summary :- Does what it says on the tin. Pricey but good.

Cheers
Steve, who has yet to receive his copy.

Candle stick holders are an easy way to practice on a lathe or Legacy :wink: and everyone has candles at christmas .

Back