Christmas Pressie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportique

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO is Japanese so I thought something with an Oriental feel might be a suitable Chrstmas Pressie.

This has taken a while to make - using some fine quarter-sawn oak offcuts very kindly given by p111dom in Dunfermline - thanks Dom. :D :D

The final piece is significantly different from the original design - seen on the 'net - I chose to use simple peg joints where the uprights join the drawer slides - the original design used more Orientally traditional wedged through tenons - too difficult on such small pieces (uprights are 9mm square). The whole piece measures 19x22x19cm (WxHxD)

The top is made up from loose slats to achieve the curve.

Also I was too timid to try dovetails :oops: :oops: so resorted to easier box joints.

Not delighted with the fit of the drawers :cry: - I was very tempted to add false overlay fronts but in the end decided it was better to see the box joints :roll:

Sorry no WIP, enjoy the pics

Dave

IMGP3273Small.jpg

IMGP3274Small.jpg

Really like the design, Dave, it looks superb! =D>

Having viewed the photo before reading your text, I must say that the scale of this piece if deceiving - I thought it was bigger! :oops: :wink: I also agree with your decision to expose the joints between the front and sides of each drawer.

Is it the gaps surrounding the drawer fronts that you're unhappy with? One thing I've learnt is that larger gaps aren't bad, as long as they're equal all around and throughout the piece. :)

Thank you for your kind comments - I did find it a challenge. :oops: :oops:

Olly - yes the gaps between drawers and down the sides, but I realise now that flase drawer fronts covering the gaps would have significantly upset the whole design. Of course with an open design like this the gaps are visible on the sides and the back :shock: It was struggle to get all of the gaps uniform and square #-o

Allen - nope SWMBO will not see it until 25th :lol:

If its not too early - my :ho2 greetings to all

Dave

I've seen something similar on the net using tusk tenons but I have to say that I like this version as well, in fact I like lots of Japanese furniture. As you rightly say, the fit of the drawers is a little bit loose and I'd have been inclined to make the drawer sides thinner as well (or at least the fronts thicker, bearing in mind the overall size) The positioning of the knobs looks slightly odd as well to me, they should be placed just below center height (to give 'weight') but it looks like you've placed them a bit too low down. Apart from me being piccy (nothing strange there :roll: ) I quite like this little unit.

The original oriental version looks like this - Rob

Rob - well spotted. Thanks for the critique - agree with everything you said :x :lol: .
The positioning of the knobs is poor - they are equi-distant from the bottom of each drawer - but quite why I placed them so low is a mystery to me even though I fitted them (hammer) (hammer) :oops: :oops:

Dave

Sportique":1zt1rmc9 said:
Rob - well spotted. Thanks for the critique - agree with everything you said :x :lol: .
The positioning of the knobs is poor - they are equi-distant from the bottom of each drawer - but quite why I placed them so low is a mystery to me even though I fitted them (hammer) (hammer) :oops: :oops:

Dave
Dave, if it's any consolation, fitting handles to drawers (and handle choice in general) is really hard but on the face of it, looks really simple. Handles are where the user first comes into contact with the piece and if you get them wrong (and they're not here, just placed slightly too low) then it can upset the balance. So many times I see a well made piece where the drawer pulls have just been stuck on as an afterthought, when in actual fact they're a crucial detail which needs to be given a lot of consideration. I'd chalk it up to experience and crack on with the next oriental piece, but for future ref I'd make a mock up of the handle(s) and just Blu-tack them in place, take a step back and see if it looks right...easy then to adjust.
I'm currently doing some Googleisationing for oriental/Japanese style boxes as that's going to be my next project, but mine will have a touch of:

WoodBoxes-open.jpg

the Robert Ingham approach in burr elm and ebony...haven't got a clue what it'll look like yet, but it'll be in the style of the box in that pic - Rob

Morning John,

yep turned em on the Perform 8) - its going VERY well thanks :p . Just bought a couple of spare drive belts from Axminster because the original is now becoming frayed :( . I must give it some maintenance. I've also boarded out the base for tools/accessories etc. handy storage space in such a small workshop :lol:

Dave

Latest posts

Back