Christmas Presents

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctb

Established Member
Reaction score
I bet there where a few Turning related presents given to turners on this forum this Christmas, I would be interested in what everybody got, so I will start :

I got a Roly Monro Hollowing Tool, and a grand to put towards a new lathe from my parents, so that begs another question, what Lathe to get, I was thinking a Nova DVR

Any suggestions

If you want a robust, well-made variable speed lathe, there are a few to choose from. I have never believed that you should hang a lump of wood off of an electric motor arbor, nor have a headstock that has not got a hollow form (to remove tapered accessories easily). For those reasons, I steered away from the Nova and the Poolewood range.

My lathe has three belt-operated speed ranges, each one of which is electronically variable, giving an overall speed range of between 90 and 3,800rpm. I believe that this configuration gives the best versatility and maximises torque over each speed range. Belt-changing takes all of ten seconds and the headstock bearings are adjustable for wear if ever required. Headstock swivels to accommodate larger headstock turning, has a 16" swing over the bed and 40" between centres.

I have no connection with the manufacturer, other than as a delighted customer, but have no hesitation in recommending the Hegner HDB200XL. I'm sure that there will be others along soon who will have differing opinions and viewpoints, but that's my two-penn'orth!

Ray.

Oh dear looks as though no-one got any woodturning related presents for christmas.

Thanks Argee for you lone advice and input, 69 viewings of this post, and no-one else offers any advice, maybe they are all suffering from Xmas cheer.

Hi ctb,

There may be others, like me, who keep away from their computer over the Christmas because they have other things to do. I do but I'm back now. :wink:

Yes, I was given a woodturning present. :D

I have had the Munro hollowing tool for a couple of years now - it is an excellent piece of kit.

I echo Ray's recommendation of the Hegner lathe. I did a fair bit of research before I bought my first lathe about five years ago and finally decided on the Hegner. I have found it to do all that was claimed of it and it has all the features you could wish for. I took the option of the upgrade to a 1 h.p. motor (recommended) and, as yet, have had no desire to change the lathe for any other.

Looking at your indicated budget, I think you would be hard pushed to find anything better in my opinion.

I have no connection with Hegner - just a satisfied customer.

Trev.

Well I looked at great detail at the hegner lathe, in my mind and no disrespect to those that use them, it appears a bit meccano'y if you get my drift, I took the plunge and purchased a Nova DVR, hung an 8kg burr on it and proceeded to turn, the lathe worked a dream.

Hi.

I did get some woodturning related presents.

Mainly new Chisels, and the Sorby Sharpening system, what a difference that made to the chisels!! and my turnings!!

I upgraded my machine to the best i could afford at the time, and got the Record CL4, good lathe, with some minor flaws.

Regards
Woodie :wink:

Sadly I didn't get any turning tools for xmas. :(

But one big advantage of the nova DVR is that you can make tha bed as long as you want for a £100 odd for an extra 20 inches. I have the nova 3000 with an extension bed and have nearly 4 feet between centres. Having this much means that the supernova delux chuck has never been removed. For between centres turning I use steb centres.

Cheers Donald

PS. Wish someone would give me a grand for xmas.

this christmas santa gave me a set set of bowl jaws for my supanova chuck and along with my upgrade to a larger lathe i am paitently waiting for my dad to put that lump of walnut on the saw mill .
dreaming of those big bowl blanks mmmmmmm walnut some body wake me up

Latest posts

Back