Christmas period?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local mother’s groups are one way to advertise, depending on the rules. They’re also a window into an alternative reality, one of our favourite… someone actually asked, “how do you make apple slices?”
That could be a case of two people separated y a common language. To me an apple slice is a very sugary folded pastry. My grandmother once asked for a bitter lemon - it arrived sliced on a saucer.

Has anyone got other advertising ideas? I've tried the local advertising mag for 4 months and had about 1 job, so I didn't find it paid off for me. Customers have got my business cards and have passed them on to friends etc but nothing has come of that yet.

thanks, designer1
The saying is; only 5% of advertising works but you don't know which 5%. So try them all especially free ones however unlikely, and every form of exposure. My best job ever (lots of period doors and windows in a big Georgian house) came from a free classified ad in a local paper which wasn't local to me or the client - they just happened to spot it.
Other jobs from ads two years previously which they'd kept for future reference.
I sold one table from an expensive ad in a colour supplement.
You just never know!
PS Turning up at craft fairs and shows can be good. Nice day out even if you sell nothing. One outing many years ago we decorated the stand with balloons and people started buying the balloons instead of our beautiful craftware. Had to shoot into town and buy several dozen gross of balloons. They were hand blown (team of volunteers paid in beer) and we made more money in a shorter time than ever, before or since. A ballooning career beckoned!

Last edited:
That could be a case of two people separated y a common language. To me an apple slice is a very sugary folded pastry. My grandmother once asked for a bitter lemon - it arrived sliced on a saucer.
The ensuing conversation confirmed it was “how do you slice an apple?”, this person was responsible for a human life

The ensuing conversation confirmed it was “how do you slice an apple?”, this person was responsible for a human life
That is deeply frightening. Once had a job supervising on an assembly line, had people who struggled with the concept that all the bolts turned the same way - always. They used to drive and that frightened me but raising kids.....

(y)

Jehovah witness - They monitor new arrivals to an area to knock on newbies!!
Persistent beggars aren’t they, all this year I have been receiving handwritten three-page letters with a first class stamp inviting me along, haven’t the foggiest why as they get very short shrift if they knock on my door. Ian

I don't mind the JWs. Bonkers but harmless. I guess they are Covidiots though. I could be wrong.

(y)

Jehovah witness - They monitor new arrivals to an area to knock on newbies!!

I have observed this too, very aggressive they are, they once followed me for over 5 minutes after getting off a bus to see where I lived and I told them if they ever come near me again I will report them to the police for stalking, that shut them up, never got a knock on the door or saw them again after that.

Checkatrade is a good one. Cost 1200 for the year. 1st job paid for it. Only reason i left was because i got established and enough word of mouth.
Got around 10leads a weak.
Would definitely rejoin if work ever slows down

I went to live in very rural France, I mean the middle of nowhere......
We we're there no more than a few days and got the knock from the JW's.....
Went to the gate, always closed and said in my worst Brit accent dont understand Frog.....
They spoke perfek English.....hahaha....
Perhaps Pres Bush should have rounded a few hundred up and sent to Afganistan, that would have scared em......hahaha......

I went to live in very rural France, I mean the middle of nowhere......
We we're there no more than a few days and got the knock from the JW's.....
Went to the gate, always closed and said in my worst Brit accent dont understand Frog.....
They spoke perfek English.....hahaha....
Perhaps Pres Bush should have rounded a few hundred up and sent to Afganistan, that would have scared em......hahaha......

I was working nights, and unwell. I had dreadful trouble sleeping, and one day at about 4.00pm I was just drifting off to sleep when the doorbell rang. I ignored it - everyone I knew knew I was either on days or asleep. It rang again. I ignored it. It rang again and didn't stop. I answered it. An elderly woman and a girl of about twelve. Hello, we'd like to talk about world peace. I don't use bad language in front of women I don't know, but this was the exception - If you don't Foxtrot Oscar there isn't going to be any!

Back