Christmas fund raiser for Shelter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Fund raising walk for Shelter
Jacob’s 76th birthday. 10 December!!
Shelter happen to have organised “The Big Walk” on the same day so I couldn’t say no. And I get a red bobble-hat free!
Appropriate for the time of year as winter and Christmas approach, possibly the worst time to be homeless, on top of Covid 19.
Actually it’s only a little walk but a lot of people will be doing it all over the country.
Contributions invited here:
I'm fundraising for The Big Walk 2020.
Happy Christmas everybody xxx”

If you click on the link I'm fundraising for The Big Walk 2020. there's more text about it. Quite small amounts of cash can make a big difference: ".....The money raised will help Shelter campaign to end rough sleeping, build more social homes & protect renters who face discrimination and eviction: £10 could pay for two webchats of online support and advice. £20 could pay for two calls through our emergency helpline. £80 could pay for two face-to-face advice sessions. £120 could pay for a legal advice session for someone facing housing problems. £150 could help someone keep their home resolving a complex housing issue for them. Thank you for making a big difference!...."

Done the walk! Only 10km cut it short due to bad weather (thick fog, cold wind, light sleet, weak knees, darkness).
Fund raising site stays up for December+ so people can still chip in for some weeks to come.
Collection standing at £529 at the mo, with a large generous chunk from ukworkshop. Thanks for that chaps!
Link: I'm fundraising for The Big Walk 2020.
131061839_201397481634954_3175489723271671258_n.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why I feel the need to post this here......I can confirm the link is working.

Thank you Jacob
1608286909997.png

I've done a donation BUT, please be aware that Christmas is not the worst time to be homeless. I do volunteer work year round for a homeless charity in London so I have a bit of experience. At Christmas there is a lot of support and lots of short term shelters and volunteers. All great. This effort then usually goes off a cliff in the New Year. It tends to get much colder and wetter in the NY and homeless people then can really struggle. So the walk is great, but we have not solved the problem and in 2021 we will see more people living on the streets. They need help then too. It's a very complex problem to solve.

I've done a donation BUT, please be aware that Christmas is not the worst time to be homeless. I do volunteer work year round for a homeless charity in London so I have a bit of experience. At Christmas there is a lot of support and lots of short term shelters and volunteers. All great. This effort then usually goes off a cliff in the New Year. It tends to get much colder and wetter in the NY and homeless people then can really struggle. So the walk is great, but we have not solved the problem and in 2021 we will see more people living on the streets. They need help then too. It's a very complex problem to solve.
Well yes.
Well done on the volunteer front!
My part in this is a doddle really as I am into walking/cycling (and now running Couch to 5K: week by week) and all I've had to do extra is tap away at the computer.
Probably pure coincidence that they arranged it on my birthday!

This is just one of many fund raising activities by Shelter and just before Christmas is a good time for raising cash, which can be spent later of course.
I agree complex problem, at street level certainly, but have to say; a simple problem at the political level.
Thanks for contributions everybody. It stays up until Jan apparently so it's not too late to pop in a few bob!

Last edited:
Back