Christmas craft fair ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris152":1ckae45c said:
AndyT":1ckae45c said:
Basic slab of wood with an oblique slot in it.
That one, ma'am? The one from the beech tree rumoured to have been planted by Queen Victoria herself on the day her first child was born? Normally it would be priceless but today, as it's Christmas, £7.50.
Is it really "oblique"? The IKEA one has a slot setback at 15 degrees and there are two slots 10mm and 13mm wide to allow for an iPhone/iPad/Other with/without a case.

sammy.se":2opf3917 said:
Ooh, another thing might be Faraday boxes to keep car keys in. Cars are getting nicked everywhere cos of that keyless technology. Metal and wood together probably needed.
A neighbour's car was accessed on his drive recently by people hacking with that technology, the only thing that stopped them stealing it was a really old crook-lock he had between the steering wheel and a pedal. Low-tec saved the day. But I'd worry about liability if I made and sold them. I was thinking more along the lines of elves with funny hats. :)
Simon_M":2opf3917 said:
The IKEA one has [...] two slots 10mm and 13mm wide to allow for an iPhone/iPad/Other with/without a case.
Ah, I wondered what the second slot underneath was for - I'll include that in MkII, too.

Thanks!

This for a cheap, quick phone stand?
d65c32bcb76596e65e3665134738de61.jpg

A million more ideas: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wood+phone+st ... 38de61.jpg

I'm pretty sure at some point in my house that'd end up in the fire by accident, Tn. But I do think more natural/ 'woody' to contrast the phone is good.

Chris152":3o3pf1oo said:
AndyT":3o3pf1oo said:
Basic slab of wood with an oblique slot in it.

That one, ma'am? The one from the beech tree rumoured to have been planted by Queen Victoria herself on the day her first child was born? Normally it would be priceless but today, as it's Christmas, £7.50.

D-M - yes, those birds' nest decorations look great but like you, not sure about the return for time and not sure my skill's up to it. A family of penguins could do the trick tho! Maybe a penguin advent scene... :)

edit - Also available with extra-festive fir:

Is it just me who struggles to see the point of a phone stand?

sammy.se":bpeawiq5 said:
Ooh, another thing might be Faraday boxes to keep car keys in. Cars are getting nicked everywhere cos of that keyless technology. Metal and wood together probably needed.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I have considered making one of those, copper mesh lining a box would be the idea.

Made these reindeer in birch ply last year, 2 larger ones both cut on the bandsaw,

Attachments

• IMG_20181222_101003_1_kindlephoto-2583979.jpg
    IMG_20181222_101003_1_kindlephoto-2583979.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20181222_101709_kindlephoto-2765094.jpg
    IMG_20181222_101709_kindlephoto-2765094.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 75
stuckinthemud":24fh28j7 said:
Sawn log reindeer and log disk snowmen. Give them a big smile, googly eyes and a bit of fabric for a scarf

Do the sawn log ones split on account of the pith? They look nice but I wonder, if I'm selling them, people could expect them to last? I did wonder about small, table-top versions of these but had it on hold cos of the splitting question.

ps The local scout group make and sell them in the yard where I share a workshop and I remember last Christmas turning a corner into a barn to see about 40 of them, all facing me. It was a little spooky!

They are likely to split so advise customers of that probability and tell them that green wood carvings need to be kept somewhere cool so they dont dry out

Chris152":1zeiocfe said:
ps The local scout group make and sell them in the yard where I share a workshop and I remember last Christmas turning a corner into a barn to see about 40 of them, all facing me. It was a little spooky!

I was in Sandgate a few years ago in August time (Went to the Hythe Venetian Fete)and there was an old fellow in a little workshop off the main street with a bandsaw running and there must've been over 1000 bandsaw reindeer in this tiny room along with probably another 1000 turned Christmas trees :lol:.

"license to print money" I think he said.

stuckinthemud":2fq50tyc said:
They are likely to split so advise customers of that probability and tell them that green wood carvings need to be kept somewhere cool so they dont dry out

It's fine for ones that'll be kept outdoors but indoors is likely to be centrally heated - and I won't have space for outdoor ones. If I used a stable wood like yew and drilled out the pith (could lead to some humour toward the back end of the deer) would that make a difference? Might have a go at one just to see what happens.

Yew is dimentionally stable and doesnt split as it dries so you wouldnt need to drill out the pith. For other timbers drilling out the pith will certainly help but might not completely prevent splits

Not really - just fairly simple boxes made from mahogany/beech (so I suppose a kind of Christmas colour scheme :) )

Hmmm, about an hour's work to get to this stage (on the right). Needs a nicer screw which might help, not sure what level of finish people expect/ how much time it'd take to achieve it. The one on the left is beech, way too hard for any cleanup - and I broke a blade on it (twisting the blade, I guess?) so will remain in our house.
They're lovely things to fiddle with once done tho, great design by Matthias.
IMG_2228.jpg

Oooh, hang on...
IMG_2229.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    965.3 KB · Views: 75
Back