Christmas Came Early

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
great find at that price! well done, looks like both are in excellent condition as well.

AndyT has it for speed and convenience. The offcut can be screwed on via the fence holes or, good old double sided tape!

The advantage of the Wearing design is that you can extend the base a long way sideways and this is more forgiving when cutting a long tenon - and, it gives a mechanical advantage in tough timber.

Sam

Andy, I'm not a complete cukckoo, not yet anyways. I know the shiny bit goes in the front :lol:
see my first post. BUT, look at the tip of that shiny bit, there is something going on here. why does it perfectly fit into one of the small holes in the base of the router?

Attachments

• IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4349.JPG
    821 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_4347.JPG
    IMG_4347.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 264
They fit together because they happen to be the same size! :D
But two reasons. The hole to fit a suitable size screw. The tip to be thin enough to be useful.
I don't think they are meant to go together, it's just a coincidence.

Apologies, I have mis-remembered. The foot in "The Resourceful Woodworker" by Wearing, was attached to a wooden router body:

Oswald 1.jpg

Oswald 2.jpg

I hope Batsford won't mind me copying those photos...

Its design was then extended to powered routers via threaded rods and a similar foot mounted on them; you can easily find images of same throughout the net.

AndyT and I refer to a simpler method above, whereby you simply attach an offcut the same thickness as the tenon stock, to the underside of the router. Quicker, less fiddly.

There is a further development of the attached foot, in that, particularly in American 'hand work' circles, they screw on a base with one side exaggerated in length, with a top knob. This gives a greater moment of force at the cutter and make the whole thing more stable, as the lateral arm can rest on the whole length of the tenon stock and the router cannot 'cant'. Sorry, dashing off to Edinburgh on a domestic emergency, so cannot track down a photo right away.

Sam

Attachments

• Oswald 1.jpg
    Oswald 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 206
  • Oswald 2.jpg
    Oswald 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 206
At risk of sounding lazy... I've never bothered screwing an offcut to the router - I've just arranged the pieces side by side - it works for me.

I respect the work Wearing did and have some of his books, but I suspect the need to keep producing material for a regular column meant that he had to keep coming up with more gadgets and jigs, whether useful or not. The more you make jigs for hand tools, the more you reduce their flexibility and efficiency for ordinary, non-repetetive work.

Agreed Andy. Though, viewing permutations on a theme (tools/jigs/methods of work) sometimes helps having that 'lightbulb' moment, that makes a task easier? Especially for beginners, like Osvaldd seems to be?
I'm a bit like you: "K.I.S.S." and don't give in to the Yankee tendency to invent a jig, then design a problem for it.

Sam

Back