Christmas Already

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I received my first Christmas Card :eek: :ho2 !

It came from Carter Johnson so, naturally, it was in the form of a jigsaw. The work this man does is so fantastically inspirational that I thought I'd post pictures here for everyone else to see. Not only have I posted a picture of the front of the card, but also the back so that it's easier to pick out the detail of the cuts. Carter identifies each main component of the picture and cuts around it using an 8/0 blade, making it a piece in its own right. The cutting around the garden fence is a good example of this.

Resize1.jpg

Resize2.jpg

This man is one of the most skilled woodworkers it's ever been my privilege to encounter.

Gill

Gill, is that actually a card or a card glued to a thin section of timber? I cannot quite tell from the reverse picture.

what you really need to know is are all his cards individual designs or does he stack cut hundreds of sheets at a time :twisted:

Certainly a novel way to liven up cards!

Steve.

Hi Steve

It's a Christmas card that's been stuck to high quality plywood and coated with triple-thick glaze. And yes, each card is cut individually, although Carter chooses just one design. Mine is serial number 42 so he's produced at least 41 others :) .

I believe Carter buys his cards each Christmas and starts cutting them in the February of the following year in order to be ready for the next Christmas.

Gill

Gill,
does he send them out in pieces for the recipient to put together? Sounds like fun.

Andy

Hi Andy

Mine arrived assembled despite the fact that it must have been shaken about a lot on the trip over from the USA. The 8/0 blades Carter uses don't leave much space for pieces to come loose. Incidentally, he buys his at Sloan's.

I've tried making jigsaws myself but I'm nowhere near the standard Carter's at. Still, I'm persevering; if and when I ever knock up something decent, I'll post a piccy.

There's another jigsaw maker around called Mark Cappitella whose work is worth looking at, too.

Gill

Gosh, 8/0 is equivalent to 0.007 inch thickness - I'm impressed! Thats not much thicker than a human hair (according to google). Sadly Sloans only ship to the USA now though :( I would have to order a gross just so I didnt put them down and loose them :shock:

Steve.

Drat, I didn't realise that Sloans had stopped delivery outside the USA :(. On a cheerier note, similar blades are available in London at Blundell's and over the internet from Eternal Tools :) . I know there's a little shop in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter that also sells them and I wouldn't be surprised to find they're also available from Hegner (but the Hegner site is being re-vamped right now, so I can't check).

Mike Moorlach sells puzzle blades that are 0.008" thick and he will ship to the UK- in fact, he provides a terrific service. I'm not such an avid supporter of his Flying Dutchman blades as many people, but I've just been using these puzzle blades recently and I must say that my initial reactions are very favourable indeed.

Gill

Back