Christening present (box)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersonec

Established Member
Reaction score
The granddaughter of a very old friend of mine is being christened this weekend and thought a little box with a St Christopher inside would be a little different.

The box is made from Oak with a quartersawn piece as the lid which is surrounded by some Wenge, it is 260mm x 155mm x 70mm

One of these days I am going to attempt something a bit more technical but for now I am concentrating on getting some accuracy into my hobby.

Andy

Attachments

• Box 4.jpg
    Box 4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,575
  • Box 3.jpg
    Box 3.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,574
  • Box 2.jpg
    Box 2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,574
  • Box 1.jpg
    Box 1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,575
thecoder":1t2o0k3j said:
May I ask how you did the edging

Basically I made the box with mitred corners and the lid is rebated to fit into a groove in the sides cut near the top, the groove must be cut so that the top of the lid is flush with the top of the sides. When the glue has dried, I rout a rebate around the top outside edges and cut strips to fit around the edge, The trick is to make these fit exactly, I don't have a disc sander so I use my table saw with a crosscut sled, I use a digital angle meter to set the 45deg. and use a stop block set a fraction too long, I then creep up on the exact length for each side using paper as a shim and test for length after each pass, tape it into place and cut the next one, after all four are done they are then glued on. This hides all flaws and adds a decorative edge which can then be shaped with your router. I nicked the idea from Ian Hawthorne's acrylic edging, thanks Ian.......\:D/

Andy

That looks really good, you should be very proud.

What was the thickness of the timber that you used? was it the same for the lid and the base?

Looks great, the contrasting woods look great! =D> I like the choice of wood for the top, looks interesting. What did you use to line the inside?

Thanks for the views and comments chaps, it really does inspire to carry on with something you enjoy doing and knowing you are on the right track when you get some enthusiastic comments, I have seen some of the work on here and thought my little box would pale into insignificance (still do really)

marcros":1ecymxc6 said:
What was the thickness of the timber that you used? was it the same for the lid and the base?

The box sides finished at 12mm, the base is 4mm birch ply and the lid finished at 9mm, the edge banding is only 5mm thick.

cmwatt":1ecymxc6 said:
What did you use to line the inside?

It was a curtain fabric I got off e-bay, very vice, thick and soft, It was stuck onto some thin card with about a 10mm overlap which was then folded under and glued, I did a trial to see how much space it would take up when fitted and found the card had to be cut exactly 3mm under size which gave a nice snug fit without showing any gaps. Search for this on e-bay..STORM dark GREY Crushed cotton VELVET curtain fabric They also have some other nice colours which I will try but wanted to sample it first, it works well.

Andy

Hi Andy

That is a lovely piece of work and something I know I wouldn't be able to achieve.

Can I make just one observation though - I love the contrast but don't care much for the lettering as I think it might have looked better a similar shade to the Wenge.
Would hate to upset you as I'm no expert and stress that it is just my personal opinion.

My son recently announced that we are to become grandparents in March so I can see me cribbing your ideas if you have no objections

cheers

Bob

Something to be proud of!
Much better than I could make, and no doubt a box that Grace will treasure for many years.

Stew

Andy

I like that very much.

Can I make an observation? Could you have let the hinges into the box rather than surface mount them? In my opinion they detract from a really excellent job.

Really like your choice of woods.

Mick

Nice work Andy, and thanks for letting us in on some of the methods you used to create this piece. I might have to "borrow" some of those and try something along those lines when I next have a box to make! Good phots too!

Cheers
John

Back